* How to send info to relatives

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
sydh
Family Historian: V6

How to send info to relatives

Post by sydh »

I have almost 800 individuals in my records which makes a complex tree if I try to include all the many branches. It is simple to view the records/tree in FH but is there a recommended method of supplying this data to relatives who do not have FH? Printing off the complete tree would be ideal but I think I would need a very large sheet of paper.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: How to send info to relatives

Post by BobWard »

You can create a copy of your family tree diagram as a pdf file. You can also generate a pdf report using any of the report formats listed under the Publish tab.

I do this all the time for numerous relatives. I have 2,254 relatives in my FH tree. I use the Family Historian PDF printer that is available under print options to print both the family tree diagram and the report output. I always use the Individual Summary Report option, but you can select whatever report format suits your needs.

Depending on the resulting pdf file sizes, you can either Email the pdf files to relatives, or, put the files on a DVD and mail them to relatives - I have done it both ways.
sydh

Post by sydh »

Thanks Bob. I will check that out.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by Valkrider »

You can always use the menu option Publish > Make CD/DVD and give that to them for their computer or use the Website creation option and put it online behind a login script.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can also export in an online compatible format to upload to Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, etc, all for free, but beware of hiding details of living people. See how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media especially how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_website_without_sensitive_data|> Export to Website Without Sensitive Data.

See how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram for saving a Diagram as a single PDF file.

See how_to:make_family_tree|> Make a Family Tree CD/DVD or Website for publishing a DVD or Website.

Alternatively, you could treat your relatives to a copy of FH and send them your whole Project :D

Exactly how much detail you include rather depends on your relatives' level of interest. Do they want fine detail of every single ancestor however distant, or just birth, marriage & death details of direct bloodline ancestors? Would they prefer family tree diagrams or biological narratives of their life history?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

tatewise wrote:Alternatively, you could treat your relatives to a copy of FH and send them your whole Project :D
Not a bad idea Mike, might get them interested in Genealogy too! :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
sydh

Post by sydh »

Thank you everyone for your advice. I had a look at the pdf option and with a lot of rescaling and adjusting printer options, it has achieved exactly what I wanted. Thanks for your help.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Since the effective demise of Rootsweb WorldConnect trees (the replacement "WorldConnect Beta" is rather pathetic by comparison, let's hope it will eventually include all the Gedcom data and display options as well as the original) I have looked around for a replacement. There is of course Ancestry's trees which is good for making connections (as it is probably the biggest tree database) but for me displaying detail is woefully pedantic.

I have discovered that Geneanet https://en.geneanet.org/connexion/ is very good at displaying a Gedcom file, especially the individual "profile" which displays in a similar manner to the original Rootsweb WorldConnect.
This aspect of the site is free and you can invite others to view. The only downside is that unlike Rootsweb they have to subscribe, but again that is free.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jim, have you tried ZoomPast that is free, private, and allows invited viewers without sign-up, but does not offer 'hints'
See fhugdownloads:contents:service_zoompast|> Service ~ ZoomPast for details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Mike, Thanks for reminding me of that. I have looked at it in the past and just uploaded again. However, in terms of viewing all the details of an individual (e.g. facts+notes + source+source detail etc etc) I find it nearly as pedantic as Ancestry.com. The detail is all there but as with Ancestry it takes many keystrokes to find it all. It is a pity as if the "bio" was extended it could easily show everything;
unlike to original Rootsweb and the current Geneanet.

I have no idea of the other functions or business model etc etc re Geneanet, but I could not see much that would interest me.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68