*Military service records

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Paulamoulton
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Military service records

Postby Paulamoulton » 03 Jul 2019 11:25

Having just returned from a long break, including holiday touring abroad, I'm now struggling to re-associate my ageing mind with FH6 and its plug-ins, and all my previous work, in order to fulfil my promise to my good friend and complete his family history. So please bear with me, if I'm asking a daft question....I have tried to follow all the relevant discussions on WW1 military records, but I cannot find what I need.
I have found four images relating to a man's WW1 service, and I just need to include them in his record, so that it is not overlooked. Earlier, I attached a single page WW1 service reference containing a date of birth to another individual's record as a source for birth date which seemed logical to me.
In this instance, I do not want to cite all the detail, just to make sure that the images are there to be seen if required, as part of the man's life story. It is highly likely that I will uncover further similar records, and I do not wish to get bogged down with endless detail, but rather to indicate the existence of the record and allow examination of the images.
I wonder if anyone has a fairly simple way of achieving this?
Thanks in advance,
Paula Moulton.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Military service records

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 03 Jul 2019 11:35

If you want a very simple approach, add a Military Service fact to the individual with the relevant date range; support it with a source or sources linked to the images -- one source if it's a single document in four images, four sources if it's four separate documents with an image each. Maybe include some Notes summarising the contents of the documents.

For my father, for example I have:

Screenshot 2019-07-03 12.37.55.png
Screenshot 2019-07-03 12.37.55.png (137.4 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Paulamoulton
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Postby Paulamoulton » 03 Jul 2019 11:43

Thank you, Helen.
Paula Moulton

davidm_uk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Postby davidm_uk » 06 Jul 2019 10:38

If I have reasonable quality images of a war record (ie. one image per page/form), I quite often put them into a Word document, one per page, plus a title page describing the record (and source details, date etc**). Then I save that Word document as a PDF file, and then add that PDF file to the source record as a media file. This way I have the service records all in one document. By no means essential, just to my mind a bit tidier.

** I have sometimes even put footnotes on an individual page commenting on something (eg. mention of a relative, interpretation of some military terminology, explaining my interpretation of some unclear text on the original image).
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)

Return to “General Usage”