* ‘Information Fact’

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Helmersdale
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

‘Information Fact’

Post by Helmersdale »

Two years ago, when I first added all my information, around 800 people, to FH I added a fact to certain people from the supplied list named ‘Information’. Here I stored all sorts of interesting info that would not fit anywhere else. Now, I am ready to update the tree and look at how I can publish my info so the family can access it. I now find that the Information fact is no longer in the list. When I generate a report, for example, an individual narrative report, that includes this fact I see a sentence saying ‘He experienced Information’ and then my writing which I put in the Note section of the fact. How can I get rid of this sentence ‘He experienced Information’ when the fact that it belongs to is not in the original list to access it from? Please help
Nancy
dewilkinson
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: ‘Information Fact’

Post by dewilkinson »

"He experienced" is a general way FH reports when no sentence structure exists. I had this for several bespoke Facts when I imported from TMG. What you need to do is go to Tools->Fact Types->Information and amend the sentence template to say {note} if you just want your text to appear.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (149.63 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Nancy.
I am mystified how an Information fact ever appeared in an existing list as it is not a standard fact.
In NOTE tab in Property Box (15053) you say you used Tools > Fact Types to create a custom Miscellaneous Information fact and adjusted its Narrative Sentence Template so that it read correctly in the reports.

That custom Miscellaneous Information fact should still exist in Tools > Fact Types unless perhaps you have switched to a new PC and not migrated your custom settings across to that new PC.
Might that be the explanation?
If so, and you still have the old PC I can advise how to migrate those settings.

Otherwise, in Tools > Fact Types tick Show Hidden on the right.
That should reveal Miscellaneous Information as <undefined> in the Visible column.
Select that fact, then click Edit and OK the warning message.
Now you can re-enter its Narrative Sentence Template, etc, as before.

BTW: David's advice is good, except you say you don't have a fact definition at all, probably because it is <undefined> as I explained above.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Helmersdale
Gold

Post by Helmersdale »

This is all excellent advice thank you. I found the ‘Information’ fact under the ‘more’ section and have amended the template as advised. I just now need to find all those Information Fact notes to check them to make sure that they ‘read’ correctly. If I have put a date in the date field, the sentence in the note field has to begin with a lower case letter. If there is no date, the note needs to begin with a capital letter. The template I used is {date} {note}
Is there a search or a query that would bring up a list of all my Information fact entries so that I can check them?
Many thanks,
Nancy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FYI: The Facts tab, + Add Fact > More Fact Types link is a shortcut to Tools > Fact Types and there in the fact definition if you tick Fast-Add Menu then that fact appears on the + Add Fact list.

For a Query see fhugdownloads:contents:query_all_facts_filter_by_date_label_or_text|> Query:Fact ~ All Facts Filter by Date, Label, or Text.
Use the All Facts Filter by Label and enter Information at the Label prompt.

You might consider reversing the Sentence Template to {note} {date} then the Note will automatically get a capital letter and the Date (if it exists) will be added at the end. Thus when you add or remove Dates you don't need to worry about the Note's initial letter.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Helmersdale
Gold

Post by Helmersdale »

What a good, simple idea! I will try swapping those around tomorrow. Thank you.
Nancy