* Need help with fact sorting order

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
bubbalicious
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Need help with fact sorting order

Post by bubbalicious »

This particular issue has been bugging me for days, but I'm just now posting about it. Y'all have been very helpful when I first started with FH6 (I dropped RM7), and I'm stumped on what I'm going to describe. Otherwise, things have been going swimmingly with the program and I love it!

On death/obituary/funeral dates, many of my late-1800's/turn-of-the-century families had a tendency to put in an obituary or death notice on the actual date of the person's death. Yeah, they did that back then :) . When going through people, I noticed that an obit or death-funeral notice was before the death date, so I went back and read in my handy-dandy book about moving facts up/down in Chapter 6 and in this case, it doesn't work. I want to have the death first, and then death notice or funeral notice (or obit) second, and then funeral third. To me, that's the correct order because obviously, an obit or funeral wouldn't be before a death ;) .

I've gone to the "All" tab in the Property Box, moved an obit (or death/funeral notice, whatever the case may be) to below the death date, clicked on another person in the focus window, gone back to the person whose fact I'm trying to sort (because I've found that in other instances the order doesn't change until you do that), and the sort order has not changed.

Am I missing something? Is there some setting I've not changed, but should? Does this have something to do with the "Normal Timeline?"

Thanks, again, for your help.
Nikki
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Need help with fact sorting order

Post by jbtapscott »

What Normal Time Frame setting do you have on the OBIT Fact - it should be Post-Death. FH uses these settings (amongst others) when sorting Facts
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Presumably your Obituary or Funereal Notice facts are custom facts you have defined via Tools > Fact Types.
So as Brent suggests in those definitions you need to set the Normal Time Frame to Post-Death, otherwise the Facts tab will force facts to be in their correct Time Frame even though their All tab order is different.
Remember that the Facts tab does NOT necessarily show facts in database order.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
bubbalicious
Gold

Post by bubbalicious »

Thank you soooo much for your reply! I had not messed with the normal time frame setting on the obit fact, and did not know or think to go look at that. It was, indeed, set on "Life" and I changed it to "Post-Death." Whew! That should have done the trick and I'll know shortly as I look at death/obit facts.

And Tatewise, you just posted a reply also as I was previewing my thank-you to jbtapscott, so I'll thank you also for your reply. You are correct in that my Obituary and Death and/or Funeral notices are custom fact types, and I'll make sure they are also "Post-Death."

Nikki