* 'Known As' Names

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
GeneSniper
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

'Known As' Names

Post by GeneSniper » 02 Jun 2019 21:42

Hi stick with me on this one as my example will take a bit of explaining. I was wondering if there was a place to put a 'known as' name in FH. Here goes:-

I have a cousin who I always called Aunt Margaret (Never found out she was only my cousin until after my mother died), she was christened Maggie after my Gran but all her life known as Margaret. Her mother was my Aunt Nancy whom I never knew as she died before I was born and only found out her actual name was Agnes (with no Nancy in her middle names) when I started doing my tree. To make things even more difficult my cousins daughter was called Nancy and as with her gran she was christened Agnes and no Nancy in her middle names either. Now for any member of my family of my age or younger looking at her family in the tree would never know who they were, by reading their christened names as everyone knew them by their other names. Is there a way to include their Known As names in FH. I know some other programs have a Known As field to allow for this, but I can't find a way to do this in FH without just adding it to a note.

I have this all through my family, with people known as names that bear no resemblance to their actual name and there are plenty of people alive who if they looked at my tree would not know them by their Christian name, as it was never used. I know this won't be a problem in a few year when the older members of my family have passed away and the younger family members wouldn't have known them at all. It would still be nice to keep a note of their Known As names even if they then were in a note.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *

AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: 'Known As' Names

Post by AdrianBruce » 02 Jun 2019 22:48

There are a couple of things that can be done. Firstly, if I explain FH's facilities, maybe we can come back to your specific issues in a minute or two.

1. The first name that you enter into FH for someone is the Primary Name.
2. If you then click the "more (+)" link by the name on the individual's property box, then you can add more / alternative names.
3. Should you desire to, an alternative name may be made the Primary by selecting it and clicking the right button.

Each name, be it Primary or Alternative, can have a nickname and a Given Name Used. The Given Name Used is explained as being for the cases where you have someone named "Arthur Michael Down" but he's known as Michael in daily use - set GNU for that name to Michael. (Click the Help Button here)

Alternative names can be used for loads of purposes - Noms de plume(?) for authors, stage-names for actors, married names for women where it's not obvious, names assumed in later life, etc, etc.

So which might be useful here?

I'm tempted to suggest that Nancy / Agnes could be handled through a Given Name Used but that's not really it's intended use (see the help button) and so you might run into issues with some reports showing odd text. In Scotland, by the way, Ann, Agnes and Nancy are considered synonyms. See http://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Agnes.html That being so (assuming that we're talking Scotland???) if we take
Aunt Nancy ... actual name was Agnes (with no Nancy in her middle names)
Then I'd set her up with Agnes XXXX in her primary name (because it's the registered / baptised name) and give her an Alternative name of Nancy XXXX. Then stick a note somewhere - maybe against her birth fact - to say that "Although registered as Agnes, she was always known as Nancy." I'm not sure what the diagrams and reports out-of-the-box will do with that - I know that I have my diagrams set to show all names - Primary first then each of the Alternatives. Your reports might show more Agnes than Nancy but you have the note there.
she was christened Maggie after my Gran but all her life known as Margaret.
She can probably be done the same - you could say that Margaret was a nickname for Maggie but surely someone will say, "Haven't you got that the wrong way round?"
Adrian

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 02 Jun 2019 22:52

On the Main tab of Property Box click on more... next to the Name box.
There you can enter as many Alternate Names as you like. See the Help for advice.

In many Diagrams and Reports those Alternate Names are labelled as AKA names.

See also Knowledge Base > How to Handle People With Multiple Names that explains how to display multiple Names directly on the Main tab.

I have not yet decided whether Aunt should be entered as the first forename in the Name box, or as a Name Prefix, or as a Nickname.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

GeneSniper
Famous

Post by GeneSniper » 03 Jun 2019 00:18

Thanks for that Mike, I had found the + beside Name before but didn't realise that the alternate names appeared in reports. Exactly what I was looking for and I will look at the Knowledge base section you suggested as that should solve all my issues.

The Aunt part was just me explaining where I thought she fitted in my family, later to find out she was actually one generation lower. She will just be plain old Maggie with a nickname or alternate name of Margaret.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *