* Backing Up

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Backing Up

Post by janefrances »

When I do a backup I always do the following. File - Back Up/Restore – Full Backup Entire Project Folder which saves in Documents-Family Historian Projects-Backup this saves within four folders which are Back Up, Family Historian, Family Historian Sample Project and Janes Family Tree.

I then go to Tools - Plug in store and pick up Back Up and Restore Family Historian Settings and this saves to C:Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up

My question is that when I do a backup to an external drive do I save the whole thing as above (this is what I have been doing) or do I go into the folder My Documents/ Family Historian Projects and just choose the Back Up folder within? Many thanks :)
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Backing Up

Post by tatewise »

If I understand correctly this is where your backups exist:

C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up holds the Backup and Restore FH Settings backups

C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up\Janes Family Tree holds Janes Family Tree project backups

C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up\Family Historian holds Family Historian project backups

C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up\Family Historian Sample Project holds Family Historian Sample Project project backups

So you should just ensure that the C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up folder is included in the external drive backups. No need to repeat the FH backup commands again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Hi Mike,
I have the Back Up but can't see the restore
In this Folder I have, Family Historian and two FH Project Back Up folders but nothing else.
Within the Family Historian Folder I have Application, Program Data, Tutorial Files, Registry.keys and Version.data
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, lets rewind, and explain the restore process.

C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up\Family Historian holds the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin backups in various folders. The Plugin Backup tab creates those backups, and its Restore tab restores those settings back to where FH uses them. (Did you never wonder what that Restore tab was for, or try the Help & Advice button?)

C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Back Up holds the Project backup .zip files.
Use the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup command to restore those Projects.

See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Hi Mike,
Yes, I did see the restore tab in the plugin. Unfortunately I didn't read your reply properly and thought (wrongly) that there was a restore folder contained in the Project/Backup files.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Once you have done a Project back up and if you had some previous back ups do delete the old ones you don't need as they take up space on your hard drive.

Victor