* Adoption and sex change

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Adoption and sex change

Post by jsphillips »

I am wondering how to interpret adoption. I have a child (not me personally) who was adopted and does not know his biological father and mother and does not want to pursue that relationship investigation. He is a member of the adopted family and has been given the adopted name of the family I am researching. To enter him into the project I can only enter in his adopted forename and surname. Is there any way of recording this ?
Another thought what happens in recording the data on same sex marriages now it must be similar ?
Any thoughts please
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adoption and sex change

Post by Jane »

On the property box for the Adoptive parents you can use the rel field next to the child to mark him adopted.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

There is also a standard Adoption fact which is useful if you happen to know the date, place or age at which he was adopted. You can enter the names of the adopting parents as witnesses. (In cases where you know the birth parents they too can be entered as witnesses).
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Even though he does not wish to pusue his birth parent relationship, they do/did exist.
So, they can still be entered as his first set of parents, albeit with no known name.
That makes it very clear that the adoptive parents are not his birth parents.

Not sure what your question about same sex marriages and sex change is all about?
Same sex marriages are supported by FH albeit with a non-standard GEDCOM method.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry