* Backup Invalid

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Con
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Backup Invalid

Post by Con » 11 May 2019 19:24

I appear to have caused an issue with attempting a full backup. I have VERY little understanding of the IT processes. I have tried following various responses to past inquiries but every time I received the same outcome. I do not know how to post a snapshot; I did locate a list of programme shapshots but could not figure how to 'capture and/or use one. The message I get repeatedly is.........

Unable to open file C:\Users \Connie
Williams\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1-FH project Backup –
Connie’s Family History – 2019-5-11 1800 Again.zip\Connie’s
Family History\Connie’s Family History.fh_data\Connie’s Family

History.ged File path is not valid

(Hope I copied that accurately)

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Backup Invalid

Post by tatewise » 11 May 2019 21:42

Is this in any way related to your recent Problem with Backup (16820) posting?
However you did not say how you resolved that problem.

To post screenshots see the Knowledge Base > Posting Topics advice.
FH Snapshots are a form of backup and nothing to do with screenshots.

It sounds like you are trying to open a Backup that you created using FH at 6:00 pm today.
You cannot open a Backup by clicking on its files or trying to open it like you open a Project.
Instead, you must use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup and select a Backup file such as:
FH Project Backup – Connie’s Family History – 2019-5-11 1800.zip
That will create a new Project that you can find in the File > Project Window.
If there already is a Project called Connie’s Family History then new one will be called Connie’s Family History (2).

BTW: The location path of the Backup that you posted is rather unusual.
C:\Users\ConnieWilliams\AppData\Local\Temp\ is not where a Backup should usually be saved.
It would be more normal yo save it somewhere in your C:\Users\ConnieWilliams\Documents\ folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Con
Gold

Post by Con » 12 May 2019 11:57

Thank you Mike for your patience and explanations. I am sure my problems are related to my last post. I did think at the time that I had hopefully repaired my errors but I did not really know how and I did not have the vocabulary to explain. I then carefully included some new research and the backups seemed to be quite correct but when I tried to look in order to understand better I found this problem. I have probably just made matters worse by my efforts. I have now printed out your reply and will spend time working through it, I thought I had followed some historic instructions from you on the forum and thought I had used Backup/Restore but a new Project was not created - just more paths if that is the right word. Anyway, let me keep on trying and learning with hopes that I can report back with success. Thank you again.

Con
Gold

Post by Con » 12 May 2019 12:46

Now I can understand more than I have been.. in using FILE>Backup/Restore>Restore/Backup, I clicked on Full Back Up (Entire project Folder) after FILE>Backup/Restore and before >Restore/Backup, because I presumed I should. Now I do have Connie's Family History (2) in the project folder, and also in the My Documents folder. Do I now leave the first version well alone, please?

My Backups have always been in the documents folder. I think that I created the path at an early stage when I was blundering around trying to look and learn but causing panic.

Thank you again.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 12 May 2019 13:16

So now you know that any Backup zip files you create are working correctly.
The Restore process is only necessary when there is a problem with your Connie's Family History master Project.

I suggest you continue working with your Connie's Family History master Project as before.

To avoid any confusion it would be best to delete the new Connie's Family History (2) restored Project.
So, in the File > Project Window select that new Project, use More Tasks > Delete Project and accept the dialogues.

The FH Project Backup – Connie’s Family History – 2019-5-11 1800.zip file will still exist and can be restored in future should the need arise.

As a matter of interest,do you perform any other PC backups to an external drive, USB memory stick, or cloud storage, etc?

Con
Gold

Post by Con » 12 May 2019 18:32

All noted Mike and again many thanks. I will be keeping the prints of this for a good while - just in case!

And yes, I am very aware of the need to ensure I have separate copies as well. I have two external drives, one continually at home and another that lives at my son's house to be updated at intervals.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 12 May 2019 21:36

Excellent.

One more thing. Have you customised any Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Types, Plugins, etc. etc?
If so, then use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settinga Plugin to create a backup of those custom settings.

Con
Gold

Post by Con » 13 May 2019 06:34

No, I have not. This is now taking me to uncharted areas of my ignorance. I will nervously approach this foreign area.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 13 May 2019 08:37

Con, since you have been using FH for 9 years without needing to customise anything, then perhaps you don't need those features and are happy with all the default settings. In which case forget I said anything. Let's not complicate things.