This has developed into a slightly wider discussion of means of managing our genealogical work.
Some of us are trying to develop actions from this under the general headings of:
This topic is addressing (2) above, under the following headings.
- Updated Knowledgebase content for the major work-arounds
- A short summary of external todo list applications that users have found useful - possibly linked to user contributed notes about workflows for working with specific applications (is that within scope of fhug?)
- Suggestions for improvements to work-arounds that might be required
- Suggestions for enhancements to FH
ColeValleyGirl wrote:I suspect the final result in the KnowledgeBase ought to focus on
- the advantages and disadvantage of using an external app; plus
- tips and tricks for integrating it with FH.
- A simple example plugin -- or more likely some code snippets -- for whatever integration is possible would be a good idea as well.
Absolutely we can't tackle "1001 todo applications" and even if we did, we'd miss somebody's favourite -- so examples are they way to go, but I'd definitely include some sort of Note-taking application like OneNote as well as at least one calendaring/to-do app. I'm not sure we'll get many user-contributed workflows but let's structure stuff in the Knowledgebase so that anyone who wants to contribute one can do so?
So if someone is making extensive use of a particular application to manage their genealogical tasks where the application has a particular function that marks it out as different to the run of the mill to do list, could they add details?
Under the above headings of particular interest is why an application is better or worse than using some of the work-arounds or features within FH.
In terms of integration, this probably arises from a personal work-flow rather than software integration
It may well be that there are areas where "if only a certain feature" was available in FH (or the application under consideration) the two applications could be made to work together better (possibly as Ancestral Sources works with FH).
If there is sufficient interest we can update the knowledge base to help others.
I will add a couple in the near future.