* Custom Query Linking Places to Individuals

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Custom Query Linking Places to Individuals

Post by BobWard »

Before I spend a day or more trying to figure this out, I thought I should first inquire from the experienced Query writers if what I want to do is even possible. I have extremely limited Query experience.

My daughter and her family are going to Europe in 3 months and she asked me if we had any ancestors linked to European castles, i.e., they want to visit such castles if possible. I was able to compile a Named List of all the castle "PLACES" in my FH database (there are 38 castles in the Named List). These are all linked to ancestor Facts such as birth, marriage, death, etc.

What I am trying to do is write a Query that will list every ancestor that has a Fact link to each castle (PLACE), and, what that ancestor's relationship would be to my daughter.

So, I guess the column headings would be:

1. Castle PLACE name
2. Latitude/Longitude
3. Each ancestor's name that is linked to this castle via an ancestor Fact that would include the castle PLACE name
4. The relationship of each those listed ancestors to my daughter

Is it possible to compile such a list via a Custom Query?
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Custom Query Linking Places to Individuals

Post by Jane »

I have done a simple Fact query, so if a Castle has lots of facts against it you will get them all in the list.

It will prompt for a Root (your daughter) and the list you want to use. It assumes the list will contain place records.
All Facts Linked to a Named List of Places.fhq
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Custom Query Linking Places to Individuals

Post by BobWard »

Wow, I'm impressed Jane! Thank you very much for setting that up.

Very easy to run and it brought up exactly what I was looking for, plus a few more bonus bits of information.

I continue to be amazed at the powerful features that are built into Family Historian.

Jane, thanks again for doing this. I am inspired now to learn more about how to write custom queries so that I can explore more relationships that are hiding in my database.

Bob