* FH vs others

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ELISABETH
Silver
Family Historian: V6

FH vs others

Post by ELISABETH »

Hello,
We are searching a good genealogical Windows software in the following context:
4 grand-parents living in 3 different cities want to build all together the tree of the grandchildren in this family.
That mean autosaves of the tree and simultaneous access to modify the tree...
With roots from all the continents, they must build this tree in English.
In this tree they want to see all siblings, aunts, uncles and associated cousins’ family.
We want to record also the different events and photos with this complex tree.
In order to work with genealogists, we must extract regularly surnames, countries, cities, birthdate in Excel CSV files
(usage of powerful Excel Macros like vLookUp to automatically cross check massive data...)

With this Genealogy software, we hope to find a great users club or strong community able to help if additional plugins will be necessary.
With export GEDCOM we hope to get some "3D views on screen" to have other analyses inside other software.
We also want to export all the tree inside MyHeritage in order to get new DNA matches.

Do you think FH 6.2.7 AND this Multi-Users additional Pack https://store.family-historian.co.uk/pr ... -licenses/ can be a good solution?

How many FH developers is there at Calico Pie?
Does FH is one of the occidental leaders for genealogic Software?
Is there an alternative software with the features listed above?

I haven’t found a compare chart with this kind of features who talk about Family Historian, Heredis or others.

Thank for your next comments,
Last edited by ELISABETH on 22 Mar 2019 14:39, edited 3 times in total.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH vs others

Post by tatewise »

Links to reviews are provided in how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation that you were advised to study when you joined FHUG. See the following:
https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/ ... -software/ Best Genealogy Software of 2019
http://www.gensoftreviews.com/ Genealogy Software Reviews (adjust the Select and Sort options as necessary)

I don't think it will be easy to find any Windows genealogy software to support that mode of simultaneous tree building.
The synchronisation between each of the four copies would need very careful management.
It might be easier to use the online family tree features of such as Ancestry, FindMyPast or ZoomPast.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

As Mike says there are no collaborative programs for Genealogy which work in Windows, that I have come across.

If you are each intending to work on your own Branches then you could simply each have your own Projects and merge them in to a Master project periodically.

>In order to work with genealogists, we must extract regularly surnames, countries, cities, birthdate in Excel CVS files.

I have no idea what a CVS file is, but assume you mean a CSV file, although why you need one to exchange data with others in that format is a mystery. I have always exchanged Gedcoms or reports, of course any Query results can be exported in CSV format for use in Excel should you want to.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ELISABETH
Silver

Post by ELISABETH »

Thank Jane. I have just adjusted my post above.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Most of what you request is available in several genealogy products, but some things are NOT:
  1. "That mean autosaves of the tree and simultaneous access to modify the tree..."
    As we have said, there is no Windows genealogy product that supports simultaneous access to modify the tree.
  2. "Do you think FH 6.2.7 AND this Multi-Users additional Pack https://store.family-historian.co.uk/pr ... -licenses/ can be a good solution?"
    The Family Historian 6 Multi-User Licence is for a single establishment where several users need to run FH at the same time, so it is not suitable for several grandparents in different cities. Anyway, it does NOT support simultaneous access to a single Project tree.
    https://store.family-historian.co.uk/pr ... gift-pack/ Family Historian 6 Gift Pack is the cheapest way to obtain a separate licence for each of the grandparents to use FH V6.2.7.
  3. "How many FH developers is there at Calico Pie?"
    You will have to ask Calico Pie that and related questions.
  4. "I haven’t found a compare chart with this kind of features who talk about Family Historian, Heredis or others."
    Links to comparative reviews are provided in how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation that you were advised to study when you joined FHUG. See the following:
    https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/ ... -software/ Best Genealogy Software of 2019
    http://www.gensoftreviews.com/ Genealogy Software Reviews (adjust the Select and Sort options as necessary)
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

As has been noted, the closest to a Windows solution you can get is the browser(s) that run within being used to access 'online' or web-based software which use a common database accessed by multiple users with various levels of assigned 'rights', incuding edit and data input. There also can be multiple 'trees' each with multiple 'branches'. It allows also for one or more users with 'admin' rights to manage the website data.

One such product is http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/ The Next Generation of Genealogy Site Building (TNG). I use FH as my data input software, then export to TNG. At this time, I do not permit users rights beyond viewing and 'suggesting' changes to me, but many users use TNG as their sole genealogy software. TNG permits simultaneous data input from many users. TNG has many built-in templates, and also mods (~plugins) offered by skilled users who have contributed their enhancements of the product.

There is a learning curve, and the software may not be a good fit for everyone, but there are quite a few active users, as well as a very active TNG user forum, and a TNG wiki as well.

Ron
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jmurphy »

The only program I am aware of (edit: I didn't know about using TNG until I read the previous post) that offers this kind of option is Ancestral Quest, which has a collaboration feature. I used Ancestral Quest as a solo user before I abandoned it in favor of Family Historian 3. No one else in my family is collaborating with me, so I have not used the AQ collaboration features myself.

If I understand how it works, it is on a workspace hosted by Ancestral Quest. Their site says:
Registration. In order to use this feature, you must be registered with the collaboration service — a service provided on the Internet that makes the sharing of this database possible. So the first step is to sign up, or register. In order for others to work with you on this file, they must also register with the service.
You can learn more on their website. This page explains the features and is the source of the quote above:
https://www.ancquest.com/aq_collab.htm

Note that your tree is over a certain size, there will be an extra charge.
ELISABETH
Silver

Post by ELISABETH »

Hello,
Thank for all your replies.
I understand now that FH + the FH Multi users licenses pack is NOT for simultaneous access inside the same data base.
Some of you indicate they have dropped Ancestral Quest.
Could you explain why FH is better?
As wrote above, FH + TNG seem to be a solution.
Unfortunately, my free trying FH period is over.
Do you know how to print on concatenate sheets to get a readable FH ascendant tree with all the people in the data base (siblings, aunts, uncles... and the associated relatives) for 10 generations?
Thank in advance
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've never used Ancestral Quest so will leave that for others to answer.

I am not so sure that FH + TNG is a solution.
If multiple people update the TNG database, then it will need to be migrated back into the FH Project.
See how_to:import_from_tng|> Import from The Next Generation (TNG), which is 5 years old, so may need revising.
If TNG is going to hold the master shared database then why bother using FH at all?
It will not be straightforward switching back and forth between TNG and FH.

You may be able to extend your FH 30-day Free Trial if you contact Calico Pie with a genuine reason.
See how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting for the way to contact them.

Printing large 10-generation Diagrams can be a complex process (for any genealogy program) and depends on many factors such as:
  1. What size sheets of paper? A4 or A3 or larger?
    Are you planning to stick the sheets together?
    Or you could use a professional printer to print on very large paper.
  2. You say FH Ascendant tree but then mention siblings, aunts, uncles... and the associated relatives.
    So that would be an All Relatives Diagram that still may not include some distant relatives by marriage.
  3. It also depends on how much detail is required in each person's box.
    Do you just want Name and say Date of Birth and Date of Death?
    The more details you want, the bigger the boxes and the bigger the Diagram, so more sheets of paper are needed.
There is the Avoid Page Boundaries option to ensure only connecting lines (and not boxes) cross the sheet edges.

There is a special method that may fit the entire Diagram into a large single-page PDF file that professional printers can handle.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

I am sure that you can sync multiple Family Tree Maker trees with an Ancestry.com account. I think they would be the same tree on different computers, so each person can work on their part of the tree and sync it to Ancestry and when someone else syncs their tree it will pick up the new information from the other tree's that have been synced since they last synced and so on.

Not sure if this is what you want but it would be a solution.

WF
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Of course that solution assumes you are happy to give Ancestry access to everything in the tree and as their new terms allow matching for DNA even for non public trees this could be a problem for some.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."