* Download FH on PC and laptop

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Ceikenhorst
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Download FH on PC and laptop

Post by Ceikenhorst »

I am about one minute away from purchasing Family Historian 6. I’m very impressed. I want it on both my PC and my laptop. Do I have to pay for 2 separate downloads or can I purchase the box with the CD and manually download it on both? How does downloading future upgrades work in each of those circumstances? Charting Companion?
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Download FH on PC and laptop

Post by Jane »

The Family historian licence allows for installation on two computers as long as only you use them.

Not sure about CC.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Ceikenhorst
Silver

Post by Ceikenhorst »

Thank you, Jane! Wow! I didn’t expect such a quick response! That’s what I had hoped. Do I have a specific period of time to download to them?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I always recommend purchasing the download version and keeping safe with your backups a copy of the install program and a document with your licence number. That way you can always reinstall.

One thing to remember is to uninstall the program from any older computer you are retiring to keep the installed copies on your licence to two.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Ceikenhorst
Silver

Post by Ceikenhorst »

Thank you! That’s so helpful. I’m a novice with computers! That’s good advice that I’ll follow.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The free upgrades can be applied to both machines independently.

Paid for upgrades can be installed on both machines the same as original installation.

There are ways of synchronising the database on your two machines.
See fhugdownloads:synchro|> Downloads and Links ~ Synchronise and Backup Tools.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ceikenhorst
Silver

Post by Ceikenhorst »

Thank you so much. I’ve copied that and put it in my FamHist file. Can’t wait to get started next week. I’ve been working in Ancestry and want to expand my capabilities to a software program. After much research I decided on Family History 6.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Do you know you can migrate your Ancestry Family Tree into FH.
See how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ceikenhorst
Silver

Post by Ceikenhorst »

Yes, Mike, and thank you for sending the location where I can find instructions. This is such a good, responsive user group forum. I really appreciate the value of that. I’ll try to remember as I become more knowledgeable to be a helpful user to a newbie. It really makes a difference!