*Recording DNA matches in Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Re: Recording DNA matches in Family Historian

Post by E Wilcock » 23 Apr 2019 14:49

Jane. I am coming back to you on this. To ask about links to place records.
I have become interested in the place search offered by ancestry DNA. Looking at the villages from which my ancestors came in the 19th century one comes up with some interesting matches but no common surname.
Is it possible to link the Fact to a Place record?
Or should I just type it in?
You mentioned clusters of DNA from small villages in Ireland so maybe you have a method for this?

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Jane » 23 Apr 2019 15:43

Not looked at that yet, you can't add Facts to places, there are a few ways off the top of my head, as there is nothing to stop you putting private notes against places or adding another Labelled text to the notes against the DNA Marker.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Coolgarra
Gold

Post by Coolgarra » 23 Apr 2019 21:21

trevorrix wrote:I am taking a completely different approach to identify in Family Historian (1) which people have taken a DNA test (2) marking the paths of proven DNA matches back to the common ancestors.

(1) I have a flag "DNA" which in diagrams switches on a DNA helix logo beneath the boxes of people that have taken a DNA test.

(2) As I prove each DNA match (researching and sourcing with images both upwards and downwards) I mark the path back to the common ancestral couple using a flag "DNA proven relative" which in diagrams switches on an orange border for each person in that path..
Thanks for describing your method Trevor. I like it and will try it out.
Cheers
Chris

jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 » 28 Apr 2019 04:08

I am also starting to look at recording DNA connections data. I may implement Jane's ideas but first a few queries and possible alternatives/ suggestions/ queries.

[1] I've looked around at other family tree programs and can't seem to find any consensus on how to record DNA connections, there are odd individuals with their own methods but nothing from the software developers. Strange, as I thought this could be a new selling point with the increased interest in DNA.
- has anyone any good "food for thought" links in this area?
- has anyone any idea if any of the software developers have anything in the pipeline?

It would be nice to find some sort of standard approach.

[2] Going back to Gedcom basics, I would have thought as there are at least 2 individuals involved (3 or more if including "shared Ancestor(s)/ connecting point"), a starting point would be a SOURce, the 2 individuals DNA facts + Shared Ancestor(s) could then be linked via the Source. Then if some strictish nomenclature was applied to the source name + text, it should be possible to report connections. I have no idea how easy that would be! Possibly a fact query including something like "Add if %FACT.SOUR>% contains 'DNA etc etc'+ coluns and sort accordingly.

[3] Not sure if it would be an extra unnecessary step, but in addition to the above, perhaps ASSOciations be used with the facts (as with Ancestral Sources marriage witnesses). But although ASSO is standard Gedcom, it is not well catered for elsewhere.

[4a] I might have misunderstood this and its context, but I am intrigued re Mike's suggestion "Clone an existing Family item such as Marriage". Possibly to include the 2 DNA linked individuals? Would there be any other implications re extra families etc showing on diagrams.
[4b] I am also confused re Jane's "Shared Couple:" in the note; is that a family (if so what family), or the couple with matching DNA!

[5] Jane's method: Am I right in understanding that notating the IDs is required, If so they can change and may not be very portable.

I would be grateful of any comments, especially where I have "got the wrong end of the stick".
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://wcbeta.rootsweb.com/trees/15314 ... 1&letter=A

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 28 Apr 2019 08:43

4/5 The shared couple is the first shared Ancestral couple. You can find this easily using the How related diagram with spouses and children turned off. I record it to make it quick when looking at known and unknown relations on Gedmatch or Ancestry to see how a new match might tie in. It's used in sites sites such as DNA Painter.

I did experiment with Witnesses, but found it easier to record it just in the person being linked to as otherwise the "Roots" end up with lots and lots of DNA witness events. If I get around to building a plug in to record using my method, I'll put the couple names and dates in the note as well. I think the source method you suggest could work, but I find I mostly find matches on GedMatch or Ancestry and then enter them into the tree so other than using diagrams and the "relatedness" query to check the numbers most of the work is done before it hits FH.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

mjashby
Superstar

Post by mjashby » 28 Apr 2019 08:56

Jim,

Not a method of working within FH, but a couple of links that might be of some general reading interest if you're not already aware of them:

- https://progenygenealogy.com/Products/F ... NA-Matches
- http://www.doublematchtriangulator.com

Both of the products referred to can use the existing FH Gedcom File and can also be run on MacOS/Linux under WINE/Crossover etc. if you want to test the trial versions to see how they work.

Mervyn

jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 » 29 Apr 2019 03:30

Jane:

[] thanks for clearing up the "family" situation. I suspect that while a "how related" shows the male as the connection in a report, the diagram shows both male and female. I would imagine statistically it is safer to use the female, especially regarding DNA. To "prove" the male, one would need to go back a further generation on his side. As an aside, as I have already discovered, the further back you go, the "proof" gets muddied when both DNA tests "relationship" is connected 2 or more times.

So, I suspect it is better to have the "female" as the shared/connecting ancestor, although I note you do both.

[] Yes, my Source method would create many DNA facts for the "main FH database persons". I tried to exclude them from the property box, but could not find a way. The simple option is to make the facts "post death" and possibly give them a fictitious date such as 2999 to ensure they are last.

[] As well as GEDmatch, I have uploaded my Ancestry DNA to FTDNA and MyHeritage, so the "text" could get rather large.

[] So, now to the empirical testing. My current thoughts are still using a source as in my original post, especially as I think is would be more Gedcom Portable. I will report back, hopefully with a fact template and query. Might be a few weeks.

P.S. Your Relatedness Report (Genetic) and DNA Lists Helper Plugins are very helpful, automating some websites I have been looking at.

Mervyn:

thanks for those links which reinforce a couple of links (below) I found useful.

I had not looked into the statistics of DNA much before and was surprised at the variability of "how much gets passed on", I just assumed "with there being so much of it" that it was nearly proportional, far from it!
This was a good introduction, especially the comments
https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/2015/ ... genealogy/
also
https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4 (each box shows a range making it easy to see probabilities vs possibilities)
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://wcbeta.rootsweb.com/trees/15314 ... 1&letter=A

LizzieA
Gold

Post by LizzieA » 02 Jul 2019 17:58

trevorrix wrote:I am taking a completely different approach to identify in Family Historian (1) which people have taken a DNA test (2) marking the paths of proven DNA matches back to the common ancestors.

(1) I have a flag "DNA" which in diagrams switches on a DNA helix logo beneath the boxes of people that have taken a DNA test.

(2) As I prove each DNA match (researching and sourcing with images both upwards and downwards) I mark the path back to the common ancestral couple using a flag "DNA proven relative" which in diagrams switches on an orange border for each person in that path.

This is a quick and easy method of keeping some sort of track of how far I have got, showing in diagrams the ancestral couples who have been proved to be so both by conventional research and by DNA matching. And marking the people in the paths from the ancestral couples back down to the people that have tested. As I work though my DNA matches (my raw autosomal data is in all six of the major databases) I may amend this method if needs be. The goal is to eventually give everyone in my extended tree an orange border. Somewhat similar to trying to achieve 100% coverage in DNA Painter. I am well aware of the need to prove all of this through triangulation.
Trevor

I really like the sound of your method but I'm struggling to create a suitable DNA helix icon. I tried downloading a free image from the internet and saved it as a .bmp file but it looked enormous when I added it to a FH diagram. Did you edit one of the .bmp files supplied in FH or create your own from scratch?

I would be grateful for any help or advice you could give!

Many thanks

LIzzie