* GEDCOM - Sharing Functions on FH Research/Website

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ermintrude
Silver
Family Historian: V6

GEDCOM - Sharing Functions on FH Research/Website

Post by ermintrude »

I have been using Version 5 for several years and my family tree contains over 10,000 individuals. I plan to continue research myself and pass the web upload function to my daughter. We both plan to use Version 6.
Hence 5 or 6 times a year, I wish to transfer research updates to my daughter to incorporate into the website. The GEDCOM process seems to cater for this although I suspect it also offers many pitfalls for the unwary.
Having exported an opening position (as used to create the current website) to my daughter, I am assuming that future exports will simply update/overwrite her previous pages and be instantly ready for a fresh FTP upload.
Is this correct please? I recognise the need to back up as a precaution.
Regards
Tony
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: GEDCOM - Sharing Functions on FH Research/Website

Post by tatewise »

Tony, I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum because it does not involve "Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program.

It is not clear whether you daughter will also be adding research updates of her own to her copy of the Project.
It is also not clear whether you wish to include Media images in the research updates.
You also need to ensure that any Reports or Diagrams included in the website and the Create a Website Wizard have the same customisations on both your PC and your daughter's PC.

If you will both be performing research updates, then after sending your Project with its GEDCOM, then your daughter must perform a File > Merge/Compare File to integrate the two sets of research.

To include Media images, then you must send them as well as the GEDCOM, and that is best achieved by sending a whole Project Backup. That will also provide the Create a Website Wizard custom settings.

To synchronise any customised Reports or Diagrams settings involves you using the File > Import/Export > Export > Diagram/Report Type commands, and the matching Import commands on your daughter's PC.

You might also consider using cloud storage such as OneDrive, Google Drive, or DropBox to simplify the exchange of data, as the files will be too large to send by Email.

We can discuss further details of the above techniques when you have clarified the options required.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ermintrude
Silver

Post by ermintrude »

Many thanks Mike.
My daughter will not be carrying out research. I think the remainder of your response is reasonably clear but I will come back if difficulties arise. Thank you again.
Tony
http://www.finnistree.co.uk
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Regarding THE FINNIS FAMILY TREE, it has a broken link problem.

Follow the link to the NAME INDEX and a modified FH Index of Names opens with links Home & Index top left that are OK.

But click on any Individual person link, and a standard FH webpage opens with tabs Home | Statistics | Index.
The Home link on those pages is broken and should be "http://www.finnistree.co.uk" as on the Statistics or Index page.

It is not clear why you don't make the Index of Names tabs the same as the Statistics page, which would be neater.

So actually all you need to do is keep all the standard FH pages and links, but don't upload the FH index. html page.
Just upload your own custom index.html page instead. That way you don't need to adjust any FH generated pages at all.

Finally would you be happy for your website to added to our links:index|> Member Web Sites to show others what is possible?
ermintrude
Silver

Post by ermintrude »

Thank you Mike. The broken links were on my “to do” list but during my procrastination, you have provided the answer for me. The site is to migrate soon to another server. I suggest this is done plus the broken links before it is added to the knowledge base. I will come back on this.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Take a look at how_to:make_family_tree|> Make a Family Tree CD/DVD or Website that may give you some useful tips, and especially the Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin.
ermintrude
Silver

Post by ermintrude »

Hello Mike
It has taken much longer than expected to return to the broken links problem. I think I have overcome that but I am having trouble linking the FH site to my own index page at http://www.finnistree.co.uk. I wonder if you have time to check what I am doing (wrongly):-

FAMILY HISTORIAN WEB SITE CREATION

Step 1 Choose Privacy Options
leave boxes unchecked and click “next”

Step 2 Select Featured Individuals
click “add all” and “next”

Step 3 Choose Report Template
just click “next”

Step 4 Add Items For Table Of Contents
just click “next”

Step 5 Home Page Title
insert http://www.finnistree.co.uk/index.html and click “next”

Step 6 Additional Pages
just click “next”

Step 7 Presentation & Behaviour
leave logo as default and click “next”

Step 8 Final Details
enter “index” as Home Page file name and click “finish”

Thanks in anticipation.
Tony Finnis
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Why are you inserting http://www.finnistree.co.uk/index.html in Step 5 Home Page Title?
You won't be uploading the FH created index.html home page so nothing in Step 5 is relevant.

My first reaction is that the HTML pages for _nameindex.html and _statistics.html and all the fam1234.html files are NOT all derived directly from what FH produced.
e.g.
The HOME link is different in each of those three page types and should be just "index.html" as used by FH and NOT "http://www.finnistree.co.uk/index.html" nor "http://www.finnistree.co.uk" nor "nameindex.html"

The first 15 lines of all those HTML pages should be identical except for the <title> line, but _nameindex.html is very different.

So I suspect you have post edited all those HTML page files after they were created by FH.