* Copy and Paste fact to other individuals

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tmwgray
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Copy and Paste fact to other individuals

Post by tmwgray »

I am using FH Ver 6.2.7. Until the other day I was able to copy a fact from one individuals record and paste it in to another individual within the same tree by using the Copy and Paste buttons. Now when I highlight a fact and click on the copy button I get this message "Only individual facts marked with a blue dot may be copied in this context" . I do not have any facts with a blue dot so am baffled.
I had also intended to open two separate sessions so I could view two different trees side by side and copy and paste facts from one tree to the other which are relevant to individuals in both trees (Residence, Census etc).
Any advice on what could be wrong or what I am doing wrong.

tmwgray
tmwgray
Gold

Re: Copy and Paste fact to other individuals

Post by tmwgray »

Apologies I can see the blue dots referred to now but have never come across that situation before.
Could it be that I am trying to copy facts from one tree to another? Can this be done?

tmwgray
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See glossary:property:events_tab|> Property Box Dialogue: Individuals: Facts Tab that explains the icons for each type of Fact.
Only blue dot Facts actually exist in Individual records, so only they can be copied between Individuals.
The red dot Facts can be copied between Family records.
For Timeline and Witnessed facts, you must locate the original record holding the fact before it can be copied.

Anyway, you cannot copy Facts between Projects other than via a GEDCOM file.
It would probably be easier to open two instances of FH, one for each Project and Copy & Paste the textual components, but you must add Facts and Sources and Media in the target Project.

If you have that many Facts common to multiple Projects, it may be worth considering Merging them into one.
It is usually easier to mange one composite family tree Project, and extract sub-trees when required, than to manage multiple overlapping Projects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

With regard to what Mike said about composite projects you might find this helpful
https://www.taubman.org.uk/family/wp/20 ... t-or-many/
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."