* Date last edited

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Date last edited

Post by E Wilcock »

This is not a problem in fh. But a user's query. I find it very hard with fh Project structure to ascertain (using Windows explorer) which is the Project folder most recently edited.
I regularly move my projects from desk top to lap top and back using drop box.
I find it really annoying that the folder does not state the date on which the contents were last edited. I did a lot of work adding data to one Project yesterday and wanted to back up to an external hard drive this morning - yet in windows explorer there is no indication at all that yesterday I worked on this particular file.
One has to open the folder and peer inside. Even now I am not sure which of the files in the project folder is the one that is dated correctly.

I do not want to use fh back up and restore - I want to see quickly which is the most recently edited version. It may be impossible, but worth asking.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Date last edited

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Within FH, if you go to File > Project Window you can see the last updated dates for every project in your default project file location. May not help if you have your projects in multiple locations, though.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

It may be easier to use something like this programme. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_time_update.html
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

For built in Windows procedures try this: https://www.howtogeek.com/219157/how-to ... n-windows/

The section on using Windows Searches gives some useful examples which can be saved for easy future use.

No third party software needed.

Mervyn
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Personally I use SyncBack to backup which is a good set and forget solution. It backs up my Work folder (documents) to my NAS Drive and up to external hard drives, sending just the changed items.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The File > Project Window > Last Updated column is the most reliable indication.
It is effectively the Modified Date of the GEDCOM file held within the Project's .fh_data subfolder, but may differ by exactly 1 hour where Daylight Saving Time is involved.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Just to say thank you. I learned from this.