* Standard Query - Search For Orphans

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Standard Query - Search For Orphans

Post by Johnr65 »

Ran the above today and was astonished by how many orphans are in my tree. However when I checked some are not orphans at all, having parents and ancestors as well as being related to me. So why is this happening?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Standard Query - Search For Orphans

Post by tatewise »

The name of this standard Query is very misleading.
However, if you read the Description on the General tab (as you should always do) it explains how it works.

It actually simply lists the Relationship Pool number of every Individual.
People who are directly related, or related by marriage, adoption or fostering, all have the same Relationship Pool number.
Most of your Individuals who in the main family group will have Relationship Pool number 1.
These will be listed at the end of the Result Set, but there will probably be a lot of them.

So orphans are those who have a unique Relationship Pool number all to themselves, i.e. have no relatives.
These should be listed in small groups near the top of the Result Set.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

So quite confusing, Mike! Even the 'general' explanation confused me! Why can't a query be just for those people who are not related to me or do you have to set it up differently to show that?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You could configure a query for "people who are not related to me", but you need to define how not related they are.

People in a different pool are not related at all.
People who are related by marriage are not your blood relations
People who are adopted potentially are not blood relations.

Assuming you are interested in people not in a specific pool you can use the attached query. Just pick the person whose pool you want to exclude.
Attachments
Not Related to.fhq
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you Jane. It seems then as I focus on a particular person and run that query it shows who isn't related to them?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Yes it will exclude from the report anyone in the same "pool" as the person you select.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, as Jane suggested earlier, those in a different Relationship Pool are definitely unrelated to the chosen person according to your Project data.

There may also be people in the same Relationship Pool as the chosen person, who are also unrelated in certain ways, but are NOT listed by the Plugin.
These include people who are only related by marriage, so are NOT blood relatives, and may include people linked in your Project with adopted/foster/step relationships, so are NOT blood relatives.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry