* Geocoding stopped - almost all the time

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Geocoding stopped - almost all the time

Post by tatewise »

Oh, that is a shame ~ I don't have enough place names for realistic experiments.
I had assumed it would work like Google Maps that definitely gives a full 2,500 daily free quota every day.
However, nowadays Google Maps is a hassle to create an account and divulge a credit card that never gets charged if you restrict it to the free quotas, just to speed up the geocoding and get slightly better accuracy.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Sadie
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Sadie »

Mike - this time I remembered to select records before starting the geocoding to find out if that process would yield more coded locations in a single run.

I selected about 500 uncoded place records ie about twice the number which was getting coded in a "normal" session. The geocoding started at the lowest numbered selected place, and stopped after about 60 seconds. Before the process stopped, I can see that it had coded about 290 records. In other words, within the range I had been finding without selecting a group of records.

From now on, I will simply do a "map all places" run once a day, and should eventually have all locations coded.

Thanks again for your thoughtful help.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

I have updated the glossary:map_window|> Workspace 8: Map Window with this knowledge gained about quota limits.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry