* Military facts

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Military facts

Post by jsphillips »

Somehow in the standard list of facts the Military ones seem to be non present.
If I have deleted these can you tell me how to replace please. I already have some other custom facts and do not want to replace with the default set but just to add the military ones.
I must have deleted in error (sorry) I wanted a fact just to register the following :-
Date enlisted
Regiment and Batallion or /Unit or /Ship
Camps and areas.
Place/War Zones
Service number
Rank(s) and dates
Service occupation
Notes.
Any help appreciated
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Military facts

Post by tatewise »

The standard FH/GEDCOM set of facts does not include anything military.

( Do you have any existing Military data recorded in your Projects, or is this the first time you have needed to? )

See glossary:work_with_fact_sets#custom_facts_from_other_products|> Custom Facts from other Products that mentions the Extended Set that includes Military ID and Military Service which may be enough.

If you need more then see fhugdownloads:contents:military_history_fact_set_mark_2|> Fact Set ~ Military History.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks Mike
That explains it.
Yes some years ago when I joined Family Historian 4, I imported from FTM 2012 quite a few persons with Military data.
Is it because GEDCOM 5.5 does not include military fact(s)
It appears other software does include Military facts as well. Is there any reason why Calico did not include ?
Is there some kind soul who could do a custom fact to include these items ?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Yes, as I said, the standard GEDCOM set of facts does NOT include anything Military, so FH doesn't.

Since there is no standard, genealogy products have various inconsistent custom fact definitions for Military facts.
So it would be difficult for FH to support them all.

However, as your import came from FTM then the glossary:work_with_fact_sets#custom_facts_from_other_products|> Custom Facts from other Products explains how to enable the Extended Set added by Calico Pie to support FTM facts for Military ID and Military Service, etc. Please, please, try that first as I recommended.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you Mike I did as you requested..fine. 8-)