* Printing Tabs

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Baboon281
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Printing Tabs

Post by Baboon281 »

I have managed to create a "Research Tab" within the property box (not too sure how I did it but its there) as per the attachment shown under the title "RESEARCH TAB IN PROPERTY BOX". I have two questions being

1: Is there a way to be able to put the different sentences on subsequent lines so I can print a list of Research or Work I need to do ( as I have attempted to show in the section titled "HOW I WOULD LIKE THE LIST TO LOOK").

2: How can I print a off the RESEARCH TAB for all individuals so I have a list of things to be done.

Thanks for any help
Attachments
Printing Tabs in Property Box.docx
(32.46 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Printing Tabs

Post by Jane »

Have you reviewed the notes for creating a Report here:
how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What is possible depends on how you have specified that Research tab.
Custom tabs such as that only provide a view of the underlying data, and it is that data format that determines what is possible.
I guess you have somehow set it up from following the How to use a To Do list (16084) thread that does give some clues.

In the Facts tab for Karl Duncan ROBERTS is there a Research fact (or similar) that shows its text:
Add when awarded medals. Obtain better copy of baptism of Karl Duncan Roberts.

Or is that text shown somewhere else in his other Property Box tabs, perhaps on Notes tab?

Wherever it is shown please post a screenshot of it so we know its data structure.
Then we can advise how to print it.

Also, can you simply edit the text and insert a newline by pressing Return/Enter key to start each new line?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Jane / Mike, thanks for the replies
I have attached a second document that shows some more screen shots.
Jane your post rings some bells and I think that is what I used to set up the Research Tab. The first two screen shots show the FACT TYPE and FACT DEFINITION , which may be of some help.
Mike hopefully the third and fourth screen shot are what you asked for? I entered the details in the NOTES tab as suggested in a previous question and entered each line separately with the hope of using the publish / miscellaneous reports / Individual Records Notes option to show the research I needed to complete. Though this is just about creates a list of what I need to do it is not exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd give the Research Tab a try.
In the Research Tab itself. FH wont let me simply use the return / enter key and all I get is a constant length of text that exceeds the width of the viewable space. The text itself I copied and pasted from the NOTES tabs information.
Up to now I have been using an external spreadsheet to keep my Research records so I can quite easily cut and paste from their into my FH programme. I hope it is easy to sort and I would like to try and keep all my research in one place rather than have it located here
Printing Tabs in Property Box 2.docx
(97.67 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
their and everywhere.
Really appreciate you help.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Ideally it would be better if you could include your screenshots using the Attachment option for images rather than loading them in a word document as it makes it easier for people to help, without downloading potentially dangerous .DOCX files.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Further to my last post when I add new text to the Research Tab I get the following within the Facts Tab on the first line.

Research: NotesPage:{=Text if(GetParagraph(%FACT.NOTE2%,2)="",,"/(MORE)")}

This may help
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Jane

Not too sure how to do that but Ill try next time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To attach screenshots follow the advice in info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics.

I suspect what you have shown on the Notes tab is quite distinct from the text on your Research tab.
Because they are two completely separate record Notes. You will see them near the bottom of the All tab.
They are derived from your earlier attempts before you created the Research tab.

Unfortunately, you have not shown the Facts tab for Karl Duncan ROBERTS that I requested.
There you should find the Research (To Do) attribute with the text all on one line as the attribute value.
Whereas the text should be in the Note field below where multiple lines are allowed.

BTW: It is very confusing to change the Fact Name of To Do to a completely different Fact Label of Research.

If my guesses are correct, you would be better advised to scrap what you have and start again following the advice in how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists.
You will need to delete the Research tab and maybe the To Do/Research facts and its Definition.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Thanks both I think I will try and delete the tabs and start again.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

I have worked through the advice given by both of you and have managed to create two new tabs "Research To Do" and "Research Done", which seem to do what I was attempting, thank you both. I have also created two associated Queries.
Is it possible to add a column to the Queries that details the associated "Record ID" relevant to each individual as I cant seem to find out that particular heading and expression.
Once again thanks for the help and hard work you do.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So, presumably you have created two custom Facts to go with the two tabs and the two Queries.

To include the Record Id use the =RecordId() function, which you will find in many other Queries, and in how_to:understanding_functions|> Understanding Functions.

As a matter of interest, why do you need a Research Done history, because once the research is done all the Facts that have been captured provide evidence of the research?
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Mike, once again thanks. Yes I have created a Fact, Tab and Query. I plan to use the Research Done tab so I can try and keep a record of unsuccessful research so I don’t keep going going through the same areas.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, understood ~ so it is not so much Research Done but Research Brickwalls.
I keep those under Research To Do with details of where I've drawn blanks.
Often they get resolved when new records are available such as the recent 1939 Register and before long the 1921 Census, or when transcripts get corrected (I have just been busy researching a new branch and reported a dozen transcription errors to FindMyPast including a surname transcribed as Sate instead of Tate which made that record difficult to find).
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

It’s question time again. Under the Research To Do tab if I wanted to add more than 1 To Do Task, say for Birth, which of the following is the correct way of entering the detail so when I run a query they are all shown.
Birth: Locate Address Born. Obtain Certificate.

OR

Birth: Locate Address Born.
Birth: Obtain Certificate.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As it says in how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists under Create Custom Attribute:
It is intended that To Do tasks are added to the Note field, one paragraph per task, with a unique Label at the beginning of each paragraph, such as Birth: or Baptism: or Census:.
The key word is unique, which means you can only have one of each Label per To Do fact.
So your 1st suggestion is the one that works.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Once again thanks both, I have almost completed everything and most things work just as I wanted / you advised.
The only issue I appear to have is with the Record Id. I have entered the details as you suggested Mike but always seem to end up with a blank column.
I have included two attachments (hopefully correctly this time), the first shows the Heading and Expression I have used in the actual query. The second shows the results I get when the query is run, as you can see the Record Id column is there but it's empty. Any ideas?
Attachments
Research To Do List Column Expression (Record Id).PNG
Research To Do List Column Expression (Record Id).PNG (6.02 KiB) Viewed 10175 times
Research To Do List Result (Record Id).PNG
Research To Do List Result (Record Id).PNG (19.67 KiB) Viewed 10175 times
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

If you are using a Fact Query you will need the following formula for the RecordId of the Fact's Owner.

Code: Select all

=RecordId(GetRecord(%FACT%))
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Peter, works a treat thanks
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Feels like I'm constantly asking for help.
Having set everything up as set out by Jane, Mike and Peter I get the results that I was looking for with the exception that everyone in my tree is included in the Query results. If an individual has no entry in the Tab set up such as "Research To Do" how do I exclude them from the results set.
Again I have attached screen shots (x3) to try and show what I mean, so for example the Individual "Georgia Esther ROBERTS" has no entries whereas the Individual "Karl Duncan ROBERTS" does. How would I exclude the line containing Georgia ROBERTS but keep the line containing "Karl ROBERTS".
Attachments
Research To Do Columns.PNG
Research To Do Columns.PNG (17.83 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
Research To Do Rows.PNG
Research To Do Rows.PNG (4.06 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
Research To Do Results.PNG
Research To Do Results.PNG (25.68 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When you set all that up did you follow the advice in how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists to use the predefined fhugdownloads:contents:fact_set_to_do_lists|> Fact Set ~ To Do Lists that provide examples to answer your recent questions.

The download Queries use the Column expression =RecordId(GetRecord(%FACT%)) and have an extra Row filter Exclude if =IsEmpty(%FACT.NOTE2%) is true to eliminate To Do facts that have no Note text.

Please don't overlook the other downloads.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Mike I followed exactly what was in those knowledge base articles. I’ll add the row expressions as well. Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, but the how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists article only discusses the essentials.
The fhugdownloads:contents:fact_set_to_do_lists|> Fact Set ~ To Do Lists adds some of the frills that you asked about, and avoids manually entering all those expressions. It sounds like you did not avail yourself of those downloads.