* Individual ~ BMD Census Check

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Treesearcher2
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Individual ~ BMD Census Check

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Help!

Since installing and then uninstalling this query, FH shuts down immediately after saving any report as a PDF. I no longer have the window that I previously had that allowed me to select the action on completing the save. I can only suspect that the query has altered some setting somewhere. I would be grateful for any assistance in returning FH to normal - Thanks
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Individual ~ BMD Census Check

Post by LornaCraig »

It's unlikely that installing and removing a query would upset the process of saving a report as PDF, so I suspect the timing is a coincidence.

Does the PDF get saved at all before FH shuts down? Problems with saving as PDF can occasionally arise, sometimes as the result of a Windows upgrade, although the problem doesn't usually result in FH shutting down.

Have a look at this page in the Knowledge Base, and scroll down until you reach the section headed Save As PDF File Output is Not Enabled:
how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems
There you will find two options to try which might help: either reinstalling the Nova PDF printer or restarting its spooler.
Lorna
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thanks Lorna,

Option 1 has solved the problem of FH shutting down but I still don't have the option window to select what should happen when the PDF is generated - I believe that one of the options was to send an email?? if you know the window that I mean?

Thanks again
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I think you mean the window headed Family Historian PDF - Save PDF File As, where you can browse to choose the location of the file, and the After save action default is set to Open PDF with default viewer. I wonder if it is hidden behind the main FH window. Can you see it in the task bar at the bottom of the screen?
Lorna
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

I can browse to the required location (hidden on task bar) but do not have the options to choose what happens after the file has generated. Thanks for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Is this the dialogue you remember, which has the Open PDF with default viewer and Send email tick boxes?

If you are not getting this then try repeating all the corrective measures suggested, but ensure FH is NOT running while doing so.
ReportSaveAsPDF.png
ReportSaveAsPDF.png (40.29 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thanks Mike,

That is the screen I am missing - have tried both options again with no joy. However FH is working OK bar this and I can live with it as is. Thanks for you input.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Can you post a screenshot of what you do get.

Does the PDF report get produced or not?

Can you open a Diagram and use its Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) command?

I am concerned that there may be more wrong with your system than you realise.

You could try reinstalling FH or sometimes a PC Restart fixes things.
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thanks Mike,

Both reports and diagrams are produced, FH does not now shut down after producing them. When I click on Save as PDF I get a Windows Explorer screen allowing me to choose the required file name and then saves OK. The only anomaly now is that I do not get the window that you posted.

I will try a reinstall this afternoon when I have an hour free,

Thanks again
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is definitely not correct, as there should not be a Windows File Explorer window (unless you click Browse).

Sorry to be pedantic, but exactly what command are you using, as there is no Save as PDF command as such.

It is either Report > Save Report As > PDF File... or Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf).

In all cases it should clearly be using the Family Historian PDF printer driver (as shown in earlier screenshot).

Do you perhaps have some other PDF printer driver installed that is getting used instead?

What version of Microsoft Windows are you running? ( e.g. 10, 8.1, 7, Vista )
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thanks Mike,

I am using Windows 10 - updated and patched to the latest version.

In FH, I select "Publish", then select any report, when it has generated I then click "Save Report As", select "PDF File...".

A small window appears headed "Family Historian", it contains the words " Printing", "Page", "Printer: Family Historian PDF", "Port NVK7" as usual. Then a Windows Explorer type window appears headed "Family Historian PDF - Save PDF File As", it contains a list of all of my previous reports and diagrams. I select the required file name and click "Save". I then get the usual message to confirm to overwrite the file and click "Yes".
The report then generates and saves. After a few moments it loads up in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as I had previously selected this option when all was working.
Hope this is enough info? I am not sure how to post a screen shot. Thanks again for your help
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice on attaching screenshots.

Your description sounds very like the screenshot I posted yesterday.
The difference is that you say the Family Historian PDF - Save PDF File As window is a File Explorer type of window.
But I only get a File Explorer window after clicking the Browse... button on the right of the File name: box.

I have found one setting that does sometimes produce the effect you describe.
In FH, use File > Print Setup and ensure Family Historian PDF is selected, then click Properties.
Select the Save tab and in Save options: check Prompt extended Save dialog is chosen top left.
If instead Prompt standard Save dialog is chosen, then I think that is your problem, so try changing it.
(However, I tried adjusting that and it only applied when using Print commands instead of Save Diagram/Report As > PDF File.)
FHPDFPropertiesSaveTab.png
FHPDFPropertiesSaveTab.png (39.78 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Treesearcher2
Platinum

Post by Treesearcher2 »

Thanks Mike,

Problem solved - how do you do it? Many many thanks for taking the time to help me.