* Where to put upgrade product key?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
KarenMG
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Where to put upgrade product key?

Post by KarenMG »

Hello,
I have had some issues with my machine and have had to re-install. I cannot for the life of me remember where I put the upgrade key. I was on V5 upgraded from 4. I have downloaded and logged into V4 with my V4 product key, but don't know how I get to V5 from here. I did previously try the V5 download with my product keys, but they wouldn't work. This is the only way I have been able to activate anything so far.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Where to put upgrade product key?

Post by tatewise »

The only way to install an Upgrade version is to use the installation media that came with the Product Key plus the Product Key from the previous version.
See how_to:reinstall_family_historian|> Family Historian Installation Advice as suggested in our recent [FHU] Email dialogue.

You appear to have the FH V4 Product Key.
What seems to be missing is the Upgrade V4 to V5 installation media and Product Key.
If that was a download from Calico Pie then see how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems in order to get the download installation media and Product Key sent again.
Make sure you keep a backup copy of both.

I hope you have backups of all your Projects and custom settings.

P.S.
I thought you'd upgraded to FH V6 with Getting rid of Parallels. What do you use? (15868) earlier this year?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Where to put upgrade product key?

Post by Mark1834 »

I’ve always been scared of losing activation codes and the like, so I generally have up to three copies, as appropriate for the original media:

1. E-mails containing user names and/or activation codes are filed by supplier, with the PST files backed up both locally and in the cloud.

2. A simple spreadsheet listing of all such codes.

3. If it is a physical installation disk I make a copy of the ISO file, which is also backed up both locally and remotely. If relevant, I may also combine the ISO file with any activation codes in a single zip file.

It sounds a lot, but in reality it’s not actually that many programs to track (an office suite, a handful of video and photo editors, assorted utilities, and of course, FH!).
Mark Draper