* Fact type "event"

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Papamuse
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Fact type "event"

Post by Papamuse »

I want to record a date when somebody made a petition to the parliament.

My understanding is that the Gedcom standard specifies a fact type "event" for recording noteworthy happenings related to an individual, a group, or an organization.

This fact type is not part of the predefined fact types in FH though I think it should be needed quite often.

Is there some reason why this type should not be used?
I don't see any good reason why Calico Pie didn't include it in the predefined fact types.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Fact type "event"

Post by pwe »

You can just create your own custom event [or attribute] by using "tools" "fact types" and then "new".
You could, in your case, create an event fact for "Petition to Parliament" and use the "fact definition" panel to make adjustments as you wish.
You would not want a fact type "event" to cover a multiplicity of situations as each situation would probably need different settings in the "fact definition" panel [different time frame and different fields required and different sentences].

Peter
redvanman
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Post by redvanman »

There is no reason in principle why you can't create a custom event, and call it "event" (I've just tried it), but in a case like yours, I would simply add a note. I think custom events are most useful when they are likely to crop up many times in a family.

Alyn
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by AdrianBruce »

Papamuse wrote:... My understanding is that the Gedcom standard specifies a fact type "event" for recording noteworthy happenings related to an individual, a group, or an organization. ...
Actually, that's not how it's supposed to work. The fact type "EVEN" is intended to be used to create user defined, custom events. It goes with the EVENT_DESCRIPTOR, which is what defines the actual type of custom event. For instance

Code: Select all

1 EVEN
2 TYPE Educated
So EVEN isn't actually a fact type that you use in the interface. It just gets created behind the scenes whenever you create a custom, user defined event. If you want to record a "noteworthy happening" - which seems eminently sensible - then you can create a custom event yourself and give it any name that you like. I've called mine "Involved with", though in my case it's actually an attribute, not an event, because I describe what they're involved with in the value of the custom attribute. But in all honesty I would not call it "Event" because that's just too complicated - having a Custom Event called Event....? Nah - not late on a Saturday night...
Adrian