* How to Suppress Spouse's Family from All Relatives Diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

How to Suppress Spouse's Family from All Relatives Diagram

Post by BobWard »

Is there a setting to toggle on or off that would allow me to suppress my wife's side of the family when creating an All Relatives diagram?
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: How to Suppress Spouse's Family from All Relatives Diagram

Post by LornaCraig »

Who do you use as the diagram root? If you select yourself and your wife as a couple to be the diagram the root then both families will be displayed. But if you select just youself as the root your wife's relatives will not be displayed. (Unless some of them also happen to be your relatives, in which case they will be displayed as part of your family, but not duplicated as part of hers.)
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Alternately click on the circle above your wife to turn off that part of the diagram.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The two techniques will produce a slightly different layout, because in the diagram based on the couple if you just click the expansion button above the wife to close that family the root couple themselves don't move. So the couple (yourself and your wife) will probably still be located a long way from your parents in the diagram. The first technique will place you and your wife more sensibly near your parents.
Lorna
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

I tried those techniques yesterday but my wife's lineage still shows up. I think the problem is that we share multi-great grandparents back in Medieval times.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I always use the horizontal layout instead of the vertical layout for my tree diagrams.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

OK, so your wife must be showing up as a descendant of one of your own ancestors. (It won't be all of her family that's showing, just the line(s) that lead to ancestors in common with you.) In that case you need to find the point in the diagram where the two lineages diverge from a common ancestor, and click an expansion button below/beside the ancestor to close off the line which leads down/across to your wife. If there are several common ancestors you may have to do this for each one. This should work for both vertical and horizontal layout.
Lorna
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Lorna,

Yes, you are correct. During the past hour, I have been playing around with finding all those common ancient links and turning off their descendant expansion buttons. That seems to be working.

Thanks,
Bob
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I'm glad that worked. Don't forget to save the diagram as a Chart so you don't have to do it all again next time.

I was thinking about a slightly different approach and wondered if you could use the Family Connection Mapper (access it from the Diagram toolbar, then click the Help button. ) You could mark all the routes you don't want to display, then Select Route Boxes, then Hide Selected Boxes.

Does this mean your topic Display Multiple Relationships in Pedigree Diagrams (16414) is now redundant?
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bob, this is the same as your Create Separate FH Project File For Spouse's Family (13549) thread from last year.
The thread Splitting my Wife's tree away from my own (14537) updated the Plugin to V0.7 that copes with shared ancestors, which was a problem you raised at the time.

The Plugin is also mentioned in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media.

It requires a Named List to be produced from the Plugin and a GEDCOM exported for the pruned tree, which in another temporary Project yields the Chart you desire, and should take a lot less than an hour. :D

(Note to self: I must publish this Plugin.)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

This time around is a little different from last year's topic. Back then, I did create a separate FH project for my wife's side of the family and everything worked fine.

However, this time around, I am not trying to create a separate FH project for my wife's lineage, i.e., I am trying to work within our (my wife & I) combined tree to produce an All Relatives diagram for just my side of the family.

As discussed above, our common ancestry seems to be the culprit in this case. But, by closing off the descendant expansion buttons on my wife's side, I seem to be getting what I wanted.

Does this mean your topic Display Multiple Relationships in Pedigree Diagrams (16414) is now redundant? No, I don't think it is redundant -two different objectives from my perspective.

Greatly appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, but as you've discovered it can take sometime to prune the tree and then you may have to move boxes & branches to tidy up.

The technique of using the Plugin to produce a temporary Project for your ancestors should be quicker and yield tidier Diagrams than the pruning method. It is exactly the same process as you used for your wife's ancestors, but with a different Named List, that can be kept so the process can be quickly repeated with new database information. Except the Plugin must be run again if you add new relatives.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry