* Private Individuals

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
marilyn57
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Private Individuals

Post by marilyn57 »

I am looking to upload my tree from Family Historian to Ancestry. I want to show everyone on the tree but privatise individuals from my grandparents down to me, grandchildren etc. I have just received my DNA results but at the moment the individuals are from my grandparents upwards, and as I say I want to put me and others on it so I can link the results to my tree

Please can anyone help, and explain in very simple terms an easy way to do this as I cant get my head around it at all. I think this programme is too clever for me, the things it can do are amazing.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Marilyn :? :?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Private Individuals

Post by tatewise »

If I have understood correctly, there is no easy way to do that.
I think your FH Project records everyone in your family, but Ancestry has only your grandparents and their ancestors, possibly in four separate trees.

It is complex enough to export a GEDCOM from FH that has full details for ancestors of your grandparents, but privatised details for their descendants, and migrate it to a new Ancestry Family Tree online.

BUT I suspect that is NOT what you want.
I think you want to MERGE those missing privatised descendants onto your existing Ancestry Family Tree and that is NOT possible without migrating via Roots Magic using its merge features and its synchronise with Ancestry tools.
See Parallel Family Historian and Ancestry trees (16318).

The only straightforward way is to manually add your parents, you & your spouse, your children, and your grandchildren.

I am not sure why you need to add those descendants to Ancestry to record the DNA results.
Why not add the DNA results directly to your FH Project?

BTW: What exactly do you mean by privatised? No names? No BMD facts or dates? Or what?

If I have misunderstood, then let me know.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
marilyn57
Diamond

Post by marilyn57 »

Hi Mike,thanks for replying, that sounds so complicated. I just wanted to upload my tree to Ancestry with details of the individuals who are living kept private, maybe I made it sound more complicated than it is. I thought you had to do a query or a named list or something. I am sure I have done something like that before but cant figure out how I did it. Thanks again
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, so you are happy to upload a completely new tree to Ancestry and disregard anything already there?
The general process is covered in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_website_without_sensitive_data|> Export to Website Without Sensitive Data but you probably don't need to use all the steps.

How complex the process will be depends on whether for example you already have Living or Private flags on the people to be privatised, exactly what 'privatisation' you had in mind, and whether the Ancestry tree will be public or private.

I am still a bit unclear about why you need to do that to record DNA results.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote:I am still a bit unclear about why you need to do that to record DNA results.
I imagine Marilyn wants to find DNA matches with other trees on Ancestry.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

But how will that work if the grandparent's descendants are privatised?
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

No problem. My tree is also privatized and it works just fine. All the tree does is to help figure out who the shared ancestors are. Dates and facts can help you determine who that common ancestor is, but are not absolutely necessary.

Bill
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Ancestry does a pretty good job of privatising people who are or may be living. However ... it is not obvious to you, while logged into your tree, that they are actually hidden. To check that they really are hidden try getting a friend to view your tree. They will not be able to see living people unless you specifically allow it.
Public trees do not show living people to others
Private trees will only show them if you allow it on your invitation.
Anne
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Thought this thread might be a place to ask a related question.

TNG provides the ability to mark an individual as 'private' and then, without appropriate rights, a user will not see any details, including initials or name, for that individual. Is there a way to set such a flag in Family Historian?

I searched FH help, but haven't seen how to do that, likely since PC based software isn't web-based. If not, am I going to need keep track of such individuals, and then, upon import to TNG, manually set those who need be 'private' ?

Thank you.
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_website_without_sensitive_data|> Export to Website Without Sensitive Data mentioned earlier that offers a number of ways to privatise your GEDCOM data before uploading to TNG.

I presume you are using the Export Gedcom File Plugin to actually create the TNG compatible GEDCOM.

The key FH feature is the built-in Private Flag that has many associated privatisation options.
Also there is the [[ private ]] brackets feature.
Both of those are covered in the above [kb]|[/kb] article.

Private Flags migrate to TNG as _FLGS tags as explained in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tng_the_next_generation|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TNG) The Next Generation and maybe can be used to select and privatise records.

Perhaps TNG experts can advise how they privatise records.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

After having a DNA test, and for DNA matches to see, I put up a public tree on ancestry uploading GEDCOM which shows only my own ancestors. My parents are dead so I show their names, but other people enter a person called Private.
In ancestry a tree is either public or private. You cant have just part of a tree private. But you can name people Private.
In my view a private tree is not helpful to other people looking for their DNA matches.

I enter my DNA matches on my fh tree on my computer using the Event system authored by Jane. You run a query (also written by Jane) to look at the list of DNA matches and who they are related to. I dont link them to my ancestry tree on the ancestry website as they are living. And also because they are not my ancestors.

Ancestry allows one to mark the names of one's matches with colour codes - I use the dots to show me which family the matches link to. But I also use a colour dot to show me that I have already entered that person in the fh tree on my computer.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Users don't name those Private people, instead Ancestry automatically privatises living people in Public trees as explained in Ancestry ~ Family Tree Privacy.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

But if you don't trust Ancestry, or you want to privatise some people even though they are no longer living , Mike's own Clean Living Persons plugin has an option to change the name to Private.
Lorna
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Thank you Mike for the quick response. I was rusty on this but finally found what to set. The Edit, Record Flag, Private does what I want when used with your useful Export Gedcom v3.7 (TNG option). The flag is imported to TNG, which then, based on admin options, will either initial the name or make the name 'private', and user rights will govern display of individual facts for that person as well. :D
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike writes that Ancestry automatically privatises living people. That may be true for the normal trees on their site.

But is that true for the trees of direct ancestors (and only ancestors) uploaded in conjunction with DNA matching?
My own experience is that it does not.Otherwise how would I have been able to add DNA matches and their descent to my fh tree?

These living DNA people will of course be removed when I put the tree on the web. Or I assume they will.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

E Wilcock wrote:Mike writes that Ancestry automatically privatises living people. That may be true for the normal trees on their site.

But is that true for the trees of direct ancestors (and only ancestors) uploaded in conjunction with DNA matching?
My own experience is that it does not.Otherwise how would I have been able to add DNA matches and their descent to my fh tree?
Unless there's something major that I'm missing, any tree that we see on Ancestry in conjunction with DNA is just an ordinary tree set up - or, all too often not set up - by the tree owner. All we see for the DNA submitter is the picture and profile that the tree owner has filled in for themselves, which we could see anyway (unless it's a private tree?) by clicking on their name to get to their profile - again, it's nothing to do with DNA.

The trees drawn by Ancestry that show how we are (perhaps, maybe) related are just taken from their trees and will show "Private" when the people are recorded as still alive and a name if not. And again, if it's a private tree, we won't see anything.

Hope I've understood your concerns correctly.
Adrian