* Residence at the time of marriage.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Residence at the time of marriage.

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Paula. Sorry you are having difficulties getting started.

The general genealogy technique is to record a document such as Marriage Certificate as a Source record, and create derived Facts for each of the people involved, then link the Facts to the Source with Citations.
The Source record captures the Marriage Certificate and can include a transcript and Media image.
From a Marriage Certificate the Facts will include the Marriage Event itself, but also Residence facts for the Bride & Groom, and Occupation facts for the Bride & Groom and their Fathers. Birth and Death facts may be derived too.

See how_to:index#recording_facts_and_sources|> Recording Facts and Sources and particularly how_to:recording_a_marriage_civil_partnership|> Recording a Marriage/Civil Partnership that advises using ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources to capture BMD records.

Please spend some time studying the how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers that has guides and tutorials, and also if new to genealogy see research:getting_started|> Getting Started with Genealogy Research.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike posted before me, but since I had already written this, some general reassurance may help.
I am no computer expert nor expert at fh. But this is not a software problem, nor peculiar to fh.
It is a question of genealogical practice. fh is gedcom based. The marriage Event provides fields to record date and place of the marriage.
The addresses of bride and groom are information contained within the marriage certificate, probably the source for the marriage information.
Long ago before images of source documents were possibly, my father would transcribe the information from a certificate or census page. fh source fields allow for Text from source.

But there was always the option of creating a separate residence fact relying on the same source.
He would enter a residence address each time the family moved and I still do this. It means that if one is visiting a town one can print out an address list.
In fh the advantage of having all addresses in a Place field (rather than transcribed in the source) is they can be searched and located. In fh one can cut and paste places and addresses from the event (place field) into the source record in the pane along side and I do that. You will find one of the blessings of fh is that one can cut and paste more easily than in a database software programme. But if they are recorded only in the text from source field, the addresses lose their identity as places.

Your question tho does raise a further issue - the failure of genealogical software to allow for more than one place to be attached to an event, . Many of us would like software that allows fields for two places.

I agree that the manual and official fh help leave much to be desired but you will find that Mike, Jane and other expert volunteers will answer your questions here, and that following this forum and searching previous threads will present you with an amazing range of choices and opportunities for using and sharing your data.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As a partial example open the Family Historian Sample Project via the File > Project Window.
It will open with Ian MUNRO and Charlotte CARRINGTON in focus.

In the Property Box on the right, select either the Main tab Marr details or the Facts tab Marriage event.
Ensure the yellow scroll Show Sources button is selected top right, and the Marriage Certificate source is cited below.

On the left click on Alan CARRINGTON (Charlotte's father).
In his Property Box, select either the Main tab Occupation or the Facts tab Occupation fact.
The same Marriage Certificate source is cited as before.

Click on the large blue arrow to Go To Source Record that holds the Marriage Certificate details.
Click on its Media tab to see an image of the certificate that shows the bride & groom details and also her father's occupation.

The groom's father's Occupation of Novelist is also recorded, along with the Witnesses, the Minister, and Best man & Bridesmaids.

If you use the free companion program ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources for Birth, Marriage, Death & Census entries, then the amount of typing is significantly reduced.

What FH presents is going to be based on the data you enter - so no gain without pain I'm afraid.
But if you mastered MS Office Word & Excel from scratch, then FH should not pose much of challenge.

It is not mandatory that you enter the Marriage Certificate source itself, but you will need to enter several Facts to capture all its details, so that suitable Reports and family tree Diagrams can be produced.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Paula

As Mike mentioned in his original post get Ancestral Sources, it is the easiest way to add all the information (people, locations, image of the document etc) to BMD and Census facts. Ancestral Sources is free and it will do everything and put it properly in the right places in Family Historian.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I did a short video on using Ancestral Sources on YouTube. The quality isn't the best but you should be able to understand what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYTJWyqiKw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Paula, thank you for the clarification of where you are at and how that led to your original posting.
The point to remember is that you knew all that, but all the people who responded did not.
So we had to guess the details of your problem, and in hindsight with your recent revelations we guessed wrong.

To supplement Colin Valkrider's video, see ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources which has tutorials (some videos) on capturing various BMD documents.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Hi Paula, may I add some reassurance. I too have much computer experience but found Family Historian daunting at first. This Forum has been immensely useful and supportive. What I particularly like is that FH uses a GEDCOM file as it's datastore. A file that can be read by many programs, with a varying degree of compatibility. It is a text file that can be read via, say Notepad, beware of editing it that way though especially initially. I found Ancestral Sources an excellent way of inputting data. I actually discovered many fact I had missed earlier on using other software such as Personal Ancestral File, Family Tree Maker (both have there own file structures not accessible other than by host program). I have not regretted this purchase. I hope you come to the same conclusion.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Paula, you start a new topic in exactly the same way as you started this one originally.
You knew how to do it then...
Attachments
New topic.JPG
New topic.JPG (18.67 KiB) Viewed 8006 times
Lorna
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Exit this topic, either by clicking on General Usage at top right or (if you think your next topic is better suited to a different forum) clicking on Board Index which will yake you back to the list of forums from where you can select one. Each forum has its own New Topic button.

You are free to continue to add to any topic, you don't have to 'close' this one in the sense that it is final. It remains open for contributions.
Lorna