* Consolidation of Media Files

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Dan Bleicher
Family Historian: V6.2

Consolidation of Media Files

Post by Dan Bleicher »

Greetings.
I have recently imported a gedcom file with data that was exported from Family Tree Maker 2017.
Family Historian did a brilliant job of importing the information - but upon closer examination of the media - I find that it is spread out over my entire data drive.

I want to consolidate it all into a new, dedicated subdirectory to keep things tidy and to allow for clean backups.

How do I go about achieving this?

Many thanks.
Dan
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Consolidation of Media Files

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Dan.

Did you follow the advice in how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM)?

See also how_to:changing_external_file_links|> Changing External File Links.

I suspect the Media files are where they were when linked to FTM.

Firstly make sure you have backups of the Media files and the FH Project folder.
Use Windows File Explorer to Move (NOT Copy) the Media files into the Project Media folder.
If your Project is named My Family then the file path is:
C:\Users\<login name>\Documents\Family Historian Projects\My Family\My Family.fh_data\Media\
You can use any sub-folders within that Media folder you like.

Then in FH use Tools > External File Links > Auto Repair Links.
Check all the files are within Project Data Folder - Media and no lettered drive such as C: is mentioned.
Ensure there are no X marks against any Media files.

BTW: Review the topics in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry