* How to edit Place fact code?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BEJ
Famous
Family Historian: V7

How to edit Place fact code?

Post by BEJ »

I know from searching fh6 help and and the FHUG that is is possible to edit fact codes. However, I cannot locate the Place fact code. I wish to replace "in" with "at" when Place is used in narrative reports. Editing the sentence template does not work because "in" occurs as part of the Place fact definition itself. Suggestions?
BillH
Megastar

Re: How to edit Place fact code?

Post by BillH »

Instead of Place use _Place and it will not append the "in". Then add "at" in the sentence template. This is documented in the program Help under Template Codes.
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, Bill is correct.
So when using Tools > Fact Types and in the Fact Definition dialogue, click <<Inset Code to see the Place (with no prefix) option, and also the How to use Advanced Features option that leads to the Help page with lots of details.
See under How to Add a Prefix or Suffix to Any Template Code for this particular scenario.

To cater for Facts both with and without a Place value, use < at {_place}> so that at is only produced when the Place name exists.

However, remember that these default fact definitions apply to every Fact, so ensure that the at prefix applies in every case.

See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates for advice, especially under Standard Template Codes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BEJ
Famous

Post by BEJ »

Thanks for the responses. I had discovered the <at {_place}> technique prior to writing my question. The issue is that I cannot find the Place fact to edit. Attached is a screenshot of the Tools>Fact Types screen. Place does not appear.
Screenshot 2018-10-22 15.15.25.png
Screenshot 2018-10-22 15.15.25.png (110.37 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You will have adjust the sentence in every fact.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Place itself is not a fact, but one of the fields used in facts. So you need to edit the sentence template for the fact(s) in which you want the place to appear with the 'at' prefix. Select the fact, click Edit, and you will see the default template includes {place}. Change this to <at {_place}>.

If you want the change to apply to all fact types, I'm afraid you will have to edit every fact template separately.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Place is not a Fact.
You must select each Fact Label listed on the left in your screenshot in turn and click Edit.
Edit the Sentence Template and replace {place} with < at {_place}> in every Fact likely to appear in a Narrative Report.

If you really understand what you are doing, then it is possible to perform a global search & replace global edit.
Close FH and locate the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Fact Types\Custom & Standard folders.
There will be a .fhf plain text file for each Fact Set.
With a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad, edit each .fhf file and replace every {place} code as above.
It would be wise to take a backup copy of those files somewhere else beforehand just in case.

See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BEJ
Famous

Post by BEJ »

Ahhh. Thanks, all.