* Running on two PCs

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
stripey
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Running on two PCs

Post by stripey »

Hi
I have a windows 7professional PC with FH v6.2.7 installed which I have been using for a considerable time and would now like to use the software on my laptop for use when visiting record offices. I have successfully installed the software on my laptop (thanks for the advice) and now need to ensure the files on both PCs are in Sync. I looked at the advice on the Forum which suggests using cloud services or synchronisation software and would like to find out if another method can be used.
I also use Adobe Photoshop on either of the PCs listed in the configuration above and the mechanism to keep the files the same is to use one USB drive that hold the project files which can be used on either PCs. The key to this is the USB has to have the same drive letter on both PCs.
Has anyone tried this approach and does/will it work?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Running on two PCs

Post by tatewise »

The general advice is in the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.

However, using a USB memory stick configured to have the same drive letter on both PC will work OK, providing all Media files are saved within the Project's Media sub-folder as recommended.

Just make sure you take regular backups, as that one USB memory stick is very vulnerable and can fail at any time.
(That is one advantage of cloud synchronisation, that you automatically have three copies: one on each PC, and one in the cloud.)

What that method does not solve is customisation & preference setting changes to the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\ folder, the Windows Registry, and elsewhere, that still need use of the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin.

Assuming you use Ancestral Sources, it is advisable to keep the Ancestral Sources settings folder on the same USB stick.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

I'm not sure that you can configure a memory stick to have the same drive letter on two PCs. The allocation of the drive letter is done by the PC and will depend on what else is plugged in to the usb ports and what the PC remembers about what has been plugged in in the past. I've fallen foul of this in the past with backup scripts failing, because as the usb drive was plugged in it gained an unexpected drive letter.

It might be worth asking the question on a Windows technical forum eg https://www.sevenforums.com/
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is perfectly possible to permanently assign a drive letter to USB stick in all recent versions of Windows.
See How to Assign a Persistent Drive Letter to a USB Drive in Windows that applies to Windows 7, 8 & 10.
Also How to assign permanent letters to drives in Windows and similarly many others.
Also how_to:v4:using_a_usb_stick|> Before You Even Begin > Sharing Data using a USB Stick.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

My vote is to sync via Dropbox on the cloud where I pay extra for Packrat which keeps copies of all historic versions of all of my data forever. I have been doing that continuously since 2009 with no issues. I have Family Historian set to Auto-save every minute while I work. The process is fully automatic.
Trevor Rix
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

I just googled dropbox packrat and it looks like DropBox discontinued it in August 2014, and replaced it with Extended Version History, which keeps files for a year, although I can't work out from the DropBox website if this is available to new customers.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Guys, we are in danger of going off topic, since the OP specifically asked NOT to use cloud storage.
Please, start a new thread if you wish to continue this dialogue.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Back to the OP's original question. The simple answer is "Yes" the proposed method of working with data files stored on an external Drive can and will work. However, there are issues that need to be taken into account:

- A reliable and frequent backup system for external drives, as already advised, is essential. Using the external data drive as a Synchonisation Tool between two (or more) computers as opposed to using it as the main working drive provides one form of external data backup for both computers and should eliminate any necessity to worry about the external Drive's allocated ID being the same on both systems.

- There are obvious risks attached to using external drives as a main form of read/write storage for laptops:
- Having peripherals 'dangling' from a laptop in a mobile work environments.
- Accidental/sudden loss of connection to the external Drive can result in data loss/corruption.
- Additional drain on laptop battery power if mains power isn't available at the working location, reducing possible working time.
- Possible loss of/damage to the peripheral in transit (Unfortunately, there are opportunist thieves who visit libraries/record offices just as anywhere else, and accidents also happen.).
- External drives will inevitably be slower at read/write actions than internal drives, governed by both the drive's capabilities and the dependence on USB port speed/reliability.
- the type of external USB drive to be used: (a) USB Stick (Solid State Storage) where the controller chip is most likely to fail long before anything else, rendering all data inaccessible; (b) Mechanical Hard Drives (generally faster, cheaper and potentially much greater capacity), but need more protection; and (c) SSD, probably the best option for stability, speed of access and storage capacity, but comparatively expensive.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

While on the risks of using USB devices, it is advisable NOT to simply unplug the USB memory stick when finished.
Always use the icon in the Notification area bottom right that looks like a memory stick with a tick, and when you hover the cursor on it says Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media.
Click that icon and wait until it says the device is safe to remove, otherwise you risk data corruption due to data buffering.
stripey
Gold

Post by stripey »

I would like to thank every one for contributing to my question however, have a couple of questions regarding the customisation & preference setting and changes to registry and the Calico Pie folder data:
1 My setting are installed on a Windows 7 PC and I will be transferring to a Windows 10 PC – is the plugin OK with the two operating systems?
2 If I make changes to any of the setting I presume the changes will need to be transferred to the other PC – how will I know when to make a change?
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

1. Yes, the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin will work in either direction between Windows 7 and Windows 10.
  2. Yes, whenever you customise any Option settings in such as Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Plugins, Fact Types, etc, or adjust Tools > Preferences settings, then they need to be transferred.
    Contrast that with entering Events/Attributes, or adding Individual, Source, Media or other records and image files.
    If in doubt, then use the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin as it is very quick, especially if there are only a few changed settings. You will soon learn what FH features alter settings as opposed to Project data.
stripey
Gold

Post by stripey »

Thanks for your advice on this issue much appreciated.
On the basis of this I would like to suggest a modification to the software based on my operation on two PCs running Adobe Elements.
The modification would involve moving the preference files so that they are stored in the Projects File. In this way providing the projects files are stored on a USB they will be up to date with all changes whichever PC is being used.
This is a suggestion which I leave to others more experience than I to take forwards.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The difficulty with that suggestion is where the user has multiple Projects, and many users do; even if only their master Project and the Family Historian Sample Project.
It would involve replicating all those custom settings in all the Projects, but many of which never get customised.
Remember that even the Standard settings are held in the same form (and some can be customised).
Then there are the settings in the Windows Registry that pose a challenge to store elsewhere.
Furthermore, what about the stand-alone GEDCOM file option that has no Project folder?

Should the custom settings saved in one Project be independent of every other Project?
Should it be possible to identify which custom settings should be shared globally by all Projects?
e.g. If you download/customise a Diagram Type, Report Type, Custom Query, or a Plugin, should that be only available in the current Project or in all Projects?

See Wish List Ref 460 Localise Settings to Projects that you can Vote for.

One alternative possibility would save all the settings within the Family Historian Projects folder shared by all Projects, including stand-alone GEDCOM files, which would also work in your USB scenario.