*One Drive

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
AndyC
Silver
Family Historian: V6

One Drive

Postby AndyC » 11 Oct 2018 10:51

I am confused about One Drive.
In https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?i ... e_skydrive it states:

a) Use Windows/File Explorer to move your Family Historian Projects folder into the OneDrive folder created in Documents (My Documents) on your main PC.
b) Start Family Historian and via File > Project Window select More Tasks > Project List > Choose Location for Projects and point it to the folder you just moved into the OneDrive folder.

Doesn't this then mean that your master version of your project is the one stored in the cloud and not your original one on your local drive as FH is now pointing at the One Drive folder?

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: One Drive

Postby tatewise » 11 Oct 2018 11:18

Andy, you misunderstand how the OneDrive feature works.
The ...\Documents\OneDrive folder and all its sub-folders and files exist on your PC.
A copy of them all exist in the OneDrive cloud too.
If you synchronise with another PC, then a further copy of them all exist there too.

So the master version is everywhere. If you run FH on any synchronised PC and make changes, then those automatically get copied to the OneDrive cloud and every other synchronised PC when it goes online. That is the beauty of this technique.

The only exception to that is if you enable the OneDrive > Settings > Settings tab Files On Demand option.
Then you can choose whether files exist on your PC permanently or only temporarily when online.
See Learn about OneDrive Files On-Demand for details.

All other cloud services work in much the same way.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

AndyC
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Postby AndyC » 11 Oct 2018 11:31

Thanks Mike.
So once you have copied your files into /documents/onedrive and FH is pointing there you could, if you want, delete the original folder as in effect this is now just a backup on your local drive.

Your working version would now be /documents/onedrive (on any synchronised pc).

Andy

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 11 Oct 2018 12:18

Yes, that is advisable, especially as sometimes (often after installing an upgrade) FH reverts to the default ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder, and you may not notice, resulting in the wrong Project getting changed.
(Anyway, that old copy is only a backup until you make a change to your master version.)

Before moving the FH ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder, consider a new feature in OneDrive.
This is especially attractive if your ...\Documents folder holds less than 5GB and is mainly dedicated to FH or you subscribe to Office 365 with 1TB of OneDrive storage and want all Documents synchronised.
In the OneDrive > Settings > Auto-save tab, the Update folders button allows you to synchronise your default Desktop &/or Pictures &/or Documents folders with the OneDrive cloud, without moving anything into the OneDrive subfolder.

So you just select the desired option on each PC to be synchronised, and then all files in those folders will be synchronised across all those PC, including the FH default ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder.

This alternative has been added to Knowledge Base > Utility ~ Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive).

If you don't want everything synchronised in say your ...\Documents folder, then this option isn't for you, but for some may be handy.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Mark1834
Diamond

Postby Mark1834 » 14 Oct 2018 10:27

There is a variant of this that works well for me on a desktop PC that I built back in 2011 with a relatively small SSD system disk (C:\ drive) and large mechanical hard disk data drive (D:\). It takes slightly more initial setting up, but is then completely transparent in operation.

My OneDrive folder is mapped to D:\OneDrive
My default Documents folder is mapped to D:\OneDrive\Documents (ca. 5 GB)
My default Pictures folder is mapped to D:\OneDrive\Pictures (ca. 30 GB)

The overwhelming majority of modern applications, including FH, use these locations by default, so I don't have to worry about moving or changing anything. I can also add any other folder I want to back up to D:\OneDrive. I have the Office 365 subscription (via Amazon renewals, not directly with Microsoft!), so there is plenty of storage space available. In principle, I could also back up my default Videos folder (ca. 400 GB) in the same way, but our internet is 4G not fibre, so is constrained by monthly data caps.

I have exactly the same mapping on my laptop, so even with linked rather than copied media files, FH stays fully synced across the two systems. I only have to remember to manually copy queries and add-ins as and when I update them, but recognise that could be automated as well, as Mike and others have described previously.
Mark Draper

Return to “General Usage”