* Census, 1939 Register, Electoral Roll

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dewilkinson
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Census, 1939 Register, Electoral Roll

Post by dewilkinson »

FMP have opened a few records for me and I have never been charged. We already pay a significant subscription so I would consider a charge to be out of order. The only problem I have had is when they refuse to open a record saying the details don't match, I argued and they then agreed to open them. I think they just go by their transcription and don't look at the original.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Updating/Correcting is same thing to my mind. Entry was redacted when it shouldn’t have been! The charge you quoted is for TNA to process the change, not FMP as previous poster suggested. I can understand TNA charging, but not FMP, hence my comments. :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The TNA quote given by Brent says "Findmypast.co.uk subscribers can request a check of the closed records free of charge".
But maybe that only applies to full subscribers and not PAYG users?

BTW: Don't believe everything posted on Facebook!
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Gowermick wrote:Updating/Correcting is same thing to my mind. Entry was redacted when it shouldn’t have been!
Victor did say the lady's father had recently died, so it was a case of updating. The entry was correctly redacted while he was still alive. Nevertheless there would have been no charge if she was an FMP subscriber.
dewilkinson wrote:... when they refuse to open a record saying the details don't match, I argued and they then agreed to open them. I think they just go by their transcription and don't look at the original.
But in the case I described they didn't argue about the details not matching. They must have believed me because they opened the record, but still didn't correct their transcription.
Lorna
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

About my comment about the lady being charged £30 you need to understand that she wouldn't know anything about this hence accepted the charge.
I have a message from my sister and she said she thinks the family moved to Hessle in 1940 so sorry folks I was wrong about the year they moved (it was before I was born). They must have moved in early 1940. I will ask my brother, who is older, so he may have a better knowledge on when they moved. It must have been very soon after the Register was compiled. 29 September was mentioned. I checked the front page and it said 5 October. So I guess the names were collected on 29 September and the Register printed on 5th October (the date was hand written)

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the 1939 Register details were collected on the night of 29th September 1939 regardless of when it was published, just as a National Census is collected on one specified night and published later. Otherwise, if collected on various dates, some people might get recorded twice, and others not at all.

BUT in the case of the 1939 Register some details were updated later as explained by 1939 Register - The National Archives.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry