* Compatibility to V2.1.8

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
AndyC
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Compatibility to V2.1.8

Post by AndyC » 07 Oct 2018 13:37

Is it possible to view a gedcom file generated by FH 6.2.7 in FH 2.1.8 When I try to open the file in 2.1.8 I get an error dialog indicating that 'the file is not in gedcom format'.
I note there are various export options, would one of these do it?

PeterR
Megastar

Re: Compatibility to V2.1.8

Post by PeterR » 07 Oct 2018 13:51

Have you tried Exporting the FH v6 GEDCOM file in a Format such as ANSI or ASCII?
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 07 Oct 2018 15:24

Welcome to the FHUG Andy.

Peter is correct, the main problem is that FH V6 GEDCOM files use Unicode UTF-16 format, not supported by earlier versions.

Using File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File in ANSI or ASCII should overcome that format problem, but you are likely to encounter other problems if you have used any of the following:
  1. Unicode accented characters outside the ANSI or ASCII set
  2. Fact Witnesses
  3. Place records (almost certainly)
To cope better with those try the Export Gedcom File Plugin in (FH5) Family Historian 5 mode that is designed to work better with earlier FH versions.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

AndyC
Gold

Post by AndyC » 07 Oct 2018 15:55

Thank You both,

I have tried the Ansi and it works.
I am aware that certain features will not work but will try the 'Export Gedcom File Plugin'.
I am also interested in absolute v relative paths for media files as V2.1.8 does not support projects.
This is to give a relative my old disk to view my tree. I much prefer this to the website/cd way of viewing the tree.

Thank you both.

AndyC
Gold

Post by AndyC » 07 Oct 2018 16:18

Wow, just noticed that there is a whole section in the forum for importing/exporting. I'm in the wrong place!

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 07 Oct 2018 16:24

No you are in correct Forum, as Importing and Exporting Forum, if you look closely is for OTHER products not FH itself.

Yes, good point, you must choose:
  • Use Full File Paths for External File Links in the Export > GEDCOM File command
  • (FILE~ABS) Multimedia via Absolute Link Records in the Export Gedcom File Plugin
Remember to send all those Media files along with the GEDCOM file.

HOWEVER, those absolute paths are almost certainly going to be incorrect for your relative's PC.
So the GEDCOM file will need a global edit to adjust the path in every Media record.
Are you comfortable with how to do that?

Another problem you may encounter is if you have added Custom Facts that won't be defined in the exported GEDCOM.
There may also be other customisation & preference settings that may hinder the FH V2.1.8 implementation.

Is this FH V2.1.8 an old predecessor version that has been upgraded progressively to your current FH V6?
If so, then that is strictly speaking an infringement of the licence terms.
Anyway, installing FH V2.1.8 copyright “2002, 2003” on a modern PC is particularly tricky.
A legal alternative is to use the FH V3.0.7 Read Only free down load from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/down ... ad-archive Version 3 tab.
OR why not treat them to a FH V6 copy and avoid all the hassles?

I believe you will find FH V2 trickier to use than you realise.

AndyC
Gold

Post by AndyC » 07 Oct 2018 17:32

Thanks Mike,

I do have two licenses as I bought a stand alone v6 when I upgraded. However I was not aware of the read only v3. So thanks for that. I shall give it a go and see what problems I encounter.

Andy

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 07 Oct 2018 17:38

One benefit of the FH V3 Read Only version is you can install it alongside your FH V6 version on the same PC.
Both can run simultaneously, so you can experiment exporting from FH V6 to V3 without subjecting your relative to the problems.

You can even discover how to resolve the absolute Media file path problem, by copying your FH V6 Project's Media files to some other Windows folder, and learn how to edit the GEDCOM file to link to those copies.