* On linux, Drag and Drop media to source crashes FH6.2

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rcpettit
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

On linux, Drag and Drop media to source crashes FH6.2

Post by rcpettit »

I run a Manjaro Linux box and so far FH 6.2 runs great except for when I drag a image into the image box. The accept dialog comes up but it is completely messed up and crashes the program after a short time. You are not able to click on anything until the program closes on it's own. Any fixes for this. I know I can use Gramps natively, but since 5 has had a lot of problems. Wish there was a real linux version of FH.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: On linux, Drag and Drop media to source crashes FH6.2

Post by tatewise »

Presumably you are running FH within WINE or Crossover or something. Please identify as some are better than others.
FH functionality depends on how the Windows functions are implemented.
To be honest I am not surprised Drag & Drop crashes.
Not sure how Gramps has any influence in this respect.

I suggest you simply avoid Drag & Drop, and instead save the image as a file and use the traditional Add Media buttons.

BTW: See how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine that among other things advises to set Tools > Preferences > General > Advanced > Emulator Compatibility Mode. That may not fix your problem, but it does fix others. If the Drag & Drop problem persists, then it will get added to the Reported Problems section.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
electron1948
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by electron1948 »

I too had this problem and the fix above (selecting Tools > Preferences > General > Advanced > Emulator Compatibility Mode) worked for me on one computer but not another:

On my laptop it worked perfectly (Linux Mint 18.2, Wine 1.8, FH6.2.7)

On my desktop it made no observable difference (Linux Mint 18.2, Wine 3.0.2, FH6.2.7)

So my next task is to revert the desktop to Wine V1.8 to see if that resolves the problem.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I run Crossover v18 on my Mac and drag and drop works fine. Bearing in mind that Crossover is Wine in a nice wrapper it should be possible unless there is something significantly different in Linux to MacOS bearing in mind they both are a similar os.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, do you know which version of WINE is embedded in Crossover v18?
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

According to information received from CodeWeavers, the version of Wine embedded in Crossover 18 is 3.14 (i.e. from the Wine Development Branch).

Also in Crossover Support Forum: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/for ... msg=211091

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So why would electron1948 be running only Wine V1.8 and V3.0.2?

According to https://www.winehq.org/ the latest stable Wine is V3.0.3 and development V3.20.

So why would Crossover be using development V3.14?

I am confused :?
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

I suspect that Codeweavers are the only ones who can answer why they are using v3.14
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I agree with Colin, but it's certainly confusing that CodeWeavers chose Wine 3.14 (Development) when the 3.0.3 (Stable) was released shortly after and well before the final release of Crossover 18..0.

My guess; and it is purely a guess, is that the reasoning behind settling on one specific version to embed in each Crossover release is associated with the fact that their paid support service has to work that way so that the 'technicians' have clarity when they are dealing with User problems. Most of the alternative 'free' systems, such as PlayOnLinux/Mac allow their users to download and use as many versions of Wine as they want to self install, which would be a nightmare if they were providing a formal support service.

Mervyn
electron1948
Silver

Post by electron1948 »

Tatewise asked:
"So why would electron1948 be running only Wine V1.8 and V3.0.2?"

This is because Linux Mint used to distribute with Wine 1.4 and it's a devil to upgrade it. I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.8 following a suggestion somewhere on this forum, and then tried 3.0.2 as it was then the most stable release.

Mint 18.3 distributes with Wine 1.6.2 now but that combination still has the drag-drop-hang problem.

My only working combination is Laptop - Mint 18.2 - FH6.2.7 - Wine 1.8

Failing combinations:
Desktop - Mint 18.2 - FH6.2.7 - Wine 3.0.2
Desktop - Mint 18.3 - FH6.2.7 - Wine 1.6.2 - all newly installed and set up yesterday, and I'm no nearer an answer :evil:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, this kind of trial and error is the only way I know to discover which versions support what features.
We can then note what works for the benefit of other users in how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine with a warning that any other versions may not work.

It appears to be a minefield with Mint distributing with such an old Wine version and Crossover with such a recent (unstable) one.
electron1948
Silver

Post by electron1948 »

Having tried *everything* with Wine I finally had to give up on it - most unlike me but life is too short!

I looked instead for other solitions and decided to try Oracle Virtualbox (available for Windows, Mac & Linux). After a few hiccups getting it set up I now have Windows 7 running as a virtual mache inside (on top of?) my Linux Mint 18.3. It is really quick and smooth, at least as fast as running in my Windows 10 laptop. It is not an operation for the feint hearted but then neither is Wine but I now feel it was worth the effort. Being a virtual machine I can turn off all network access so I don't have to worry about malware etc.

If I can find the time and the enthusiasm I may write up what I did and post it somewhere on the forum.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you see how_to:family_historian_ancestral_sources_on_oracle_virtualbox|> Family Historian & Ancestral Sources on Oracle VirtualBox that also refers to the long thread Transferring a detailed Family Tree from a PC to a Mac (12988)?

Can you add anything to that advice, especially for Linux Mint?

BTW: Does turning off network access mean you can't download Plugins from Plugin Store or access downloads from FHUG?

One important point compared to Crossover & Wine, is that you must purchase a Windows licence.
But because it is a genuine Windows environment, then everything in FH & AS works as on a Windows PC.