* Splitting a generation into multiple rows

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Brent Rose
Family Historian: V6.2

Splitting a generation into multiple rows

Post by Brent Rose »

Is it possible to split a generation into multiple rows in a tree diagram, shifting one person (or more) to a 2nd row with suitable link lines?

eg If a person has 3 spouses, my tree diagram is showing them all horizontally, and it looks like the 2nd and 3rd spouses are related with one another rather than with their common spouse. I would like to move the 3rd spouse down to a new row in the same generation (so the 2nd and 3rd spouses show one above the other).

NB I can see options to increase the "leading gap" on the spouse line of the 3rd spouse line which helps, but is still not particularly clear...

Sorry if I am using the wrong "phrases" in trying to find a solution to this... I am new to FH, and cannot spot references in the FAQ or help file to lead me to an answer.

Thanks.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Splitting a generation into multiple rows

Post by Jane »

I don't think so, you can display the two spouses on each side of the core person which can help with this, the option is on the General settings tab.

The only other way is to hide one of the spouses and then add a second tree with that spouse and their offspring.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Use Diagram > Enable Moving/Resizing to experiment with the Movement Control Box.
Especially try the Fixed Point Set option that may allow horizontal movement so the 2nd & 3rd spouses are further apart with one nearer common spouse.

Also see Getting the Most From Family Historian Chapter 9. Setting the Style, Layout & Content of Diagrams that deals with moving boxes, etc. That is one of the first topics in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers that was mentioned in your FHUG joining Email.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Spouses are always displayed in the same horizontal line. However if they had children it is possible to move their rows of children to different levels (using the Box & Bar option in the Movement Control Box) and this can help to distinguish the family groups resulting from each marriage.

This, combined with the Fixed Point option mentioned by Mike to increase the horizontal spacing of the spouses, is usually enough to make the relationships clear.
Lorna
Brent Rose
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Brent Rose »

Thank you all for your helpful responses. To summarise the key points I have gleaned from your various answers/suggestions (using a vertical layout in this case):

a) Spouses always appear in the same horizontal row (so the answer to my original question regarding spouses is "No" as Jane points out).

b) A "Fixed Point" move will allow any given spouse to be moved horizontally further away from, or closer to, an adjacent spouse.

c) You can adjust the connecting "spouse line" for outer spouses so that it does not connect directly with any intervening spouse. This break tends to avoid the appearance of a direct relationship between the different spouses of the common spouse (and would seem to be the best option for my purposes - see Diagram, Options, Dimensions, Outer Spouse marriage line break)

d) Only boxes or groups of boxes on a common vertical line can be moved up or down along that line to occupy multiple rows within the same generation or to move an entire branch descending from a given box (Box & Bar moves via the Movement Control Box).

Thanks again for your assistance.