* Ancestor and Descendant List Creation

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Senelstune

Ancestor and Descendant List Creation

Post by Senelstune »

Hi,

I want to create a list of my relatives, showing Name, Id#, date of birth, date of death and consanguinity (e.g. 4th Cousin 3x Removed).

I have found this reference to "Ancestor and Descendant List Creation" which I thought might be a Plugin, but it is a a set of code - if it is not a Plugin, how and where do I use this code ?

Any help much appreciated.

john
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestor and Descendant List Creation

Post by Jane »

Just run the All Relatives query from the View>Queries>Standard Queries menu.

If that is not want you want you can either run a Descendants queries and an Ancestors one or create a custom query adding both to the list.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The plugins:code_snippets:ancestor_and_decendant_list_creation|> Ancestor and Descendant List Creation (code snippet) offers fragments of script that can be used by Plugin developers to compile a table of record pointers to Ancestors, or Descendants, or All Relatives of a nominated Individual. All the plugins:code_snippets:index|> Code Snippets are part of the plugins:index#developer_guide|> Family Historian Plugins > Developer Guide.

However, as Jane says, a Query will provide what you request.
The standard All Relatives query does not provide exactly the Columns you requested.
So use the cog Query Menu > Save As Custom Query and on its Columns tab delete those you don't need and add one for Date of Death using %INDI.DEAT[1].DATE:COMPACT% similar to Date of Birth.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thanks Jane and Mike,

Great. I have tried these and wow, super fast too. Love that Standard Report Query.

As you may know by now, I am building a Book using the FH feature Publish/Books ....

What's the best way of getting this report, perhaps after eliminating a few columns to align it with an A4 orientation, into the book and include it in the book's Index ?

Thanks.

john
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It's not possible to directly include a query in a book, but you could export the information as a text file, tweek it a bit to remove the double quotes and add it back in as a Free Text page.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this thread to the FH General Usage Forum as it is not to do with Plugins.

Getting a Query Result Set into a Book is not at all easy as there is no built in method in FH.
I have tried various methods and this is the best I've found so far:
  1. Adjust Query Result Set such as column widths, and cog Query Menu > Options to set Print Margins, Fonts & Colours.
  2. Use Save Results to File > Save As PDF File
  3. Use Windows Snipping Tool or similar to take screenshots of each PDF page, which will be A4 size
    IrfanView can automate that process to create a PNG file per PDF page
  4. See how_to:report_content_multimedia_format_layout#book_free_page_content|> Book Free Page Content and use that technique to insert each PDF page screenshot image as a Picture one below the other (Ignore the Text Box features)
    With a little practice it should be possible to recreate the multiple pages from the PDF in the Book by carefully spacing the images one above the other in the Saved Chart and ensuring they are all the same width
Example PDF Page
Example PDF Page
RelationshipPDF.png (83.73 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
BTW: I tried saving the Query Result Set as a Text File and using the Book Free Text page, or the Book Free Page Content with Text Box option, but getting tabulated columns was virtually impossible.

The only other way to get a Relationship Index into a Book would involve a highly customised Individual Summary Report.
It would select all the Individuals required in your desired order, and avoid starting a New Page for each one.
All the Contents > Sections and Pictures and Sources would be excluded, except Main.
The Main Section Items would be customised to include just the details required as illustrated below.
Then that Report can be added to Book as usual. I can give more details if required.
Example Customised ISR
Example Customised ISR
RelationshipIndex.png (28.53 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Jane - thanks. I understand what you suggest and have tried that. Yes, you get the list in the free text page, but it doesn't seem to create an entry in the Index - as it is just "free text".

Mike - I understand the PDF and PNG procedure. Again, I understand how this will produce a list in the book - which is great in itself - but I don't see how this can get the contents into the Book Index.

If the contents can't get into the Index except through the Book features themselves, I guess that's just the way it is.

Please advise if my understand is correct.

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions which i might take up anyway.
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Another possibility perhaps (and so as not to waste your time, I have looked this up in the HELP facilities and in OTHER places), is to use flags.

If a flag is set for say "Blood Relatives" already as it was set up in TMG before importing into FH, can that flag be used as a filter together with the Publish Book Report options, to produce a list of names, id Numbers and consanguinuity relative to the Root (that's just 3 simple columns) AND appear in the Book Index.

Just asking.

Thanks,

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are correct, only data in Reports is included in the Book Index.
So Free Text, and Diagrams, and Saved Charts (Pictures & Text Boxes) do NOT contribute to the Book Index.

To be absolutely clear, the Book Index can optionally include Record Id in square brackets, and Life Dates in round brackets using the format (Birth Year - Death Year).
However, full Birth Dates, and full Death Dates, and Relationships can never be incorporated into the Book Index for People.

A flag such as Blood Relatives may help select Individuals to be included in a Report in a Book, but cannot affect what is included in the Book Index as explained above.

The only way to create a list of Individuals, with Record Id, Birth Date, Death Date, and Relationship to Root is with a heavily customised Individual Summary Report similar to the one at the end of my posting yesterday.
The Individuals listed in that Report would appear in the Book Index, but the Report itself would be in addition to the Book Index.

Alternatively, it may be possible to export the Project GEDCOM file to another genealogy product and use its report generation features, but I am not aware of any that produce a Book style comprising multiple Reports and Diagrams, etc.
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thank you Mike for that comprehensive reply. That makes it very clear.

Yes, I have discussed this with John Cardinal re his GEDCOM Publisher product which I also have, but that is aimed at eBooks, and is structured with HTML-like hyperlinks, so the prospect of a Look-up Index associating individuals, listed in a spreadsheet type format of rows and columns, with consanguinity to a Root and then physical pages, does not arise.

Nevertheless, I have learned a lot from you re FH and I may have another option which I will now explore. If it works for me, I will come back to you and pass it on, as it may suit others with a similar challenge.

Thanks to you and Jane again for your thoughts and knowledge sharing.

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Book Index includes most of what you want, with the exception of the Relationship to Root.
So, I wonder why a list of people with Record Id, Dates and Relationship to Root is so important?
Do you know that in a Book most Reports and Diagrams can include those details for most people mentioned?
Therefore, those details are presented in context rather than in a disassociated list.