*Publishing Narrative Report Problems

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Publishing Narrative Report Problems

Postby E Wilcock » 14 Sep 2018 06:30

Mike and other experts here. I am going out of my mind with this Report problem and woke at 6.00 worrying about it.
I did edit up the outline report to get what I wanted.
But since it did not show where a son witnessed a death of his father, I then started over using as a basis the narrative Descendants report.
Having copied the Census sentence with the line break as suggested above,
<br>{individual} appeared in the {=TextIf(GetDisplayText(%FACT.DATE%,min) = "29 September 1939","1939 National Register","Census")} {date} residing at {_place} {age}

I find that I cannot get rid of unwanted full stops in the output.

So I attempt to go back to the original .
<br> {individual} appeared in the census {date} {place} {age} {note} and discover that reverting the Fact code to the original in the Sample Tree reverts it in all projects so I have to go back and add my note field. Having got rid of the full stops, I now find every census entry in the report starts with a lower case pronoun he or she. Since I have inserted a line break, I need to alter this.

This turns out to be because I left a space in the sentence after the line break code.

An additional problem with this census output is that there are both individual and family versions and I have absolutely no idea which has been imported from TMG, nor which has been added with my working in fh, nor latterly with Ancestral sources.

And I still haven't finished going through and checking this long document.

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Re: Published Report styles for discussion

Postby E Wilcock » 14 Sep 2018 06:34

I am already facing another problem. Using the default census sentence for the 1939 register (as instructed) and AS (I assume AS) gives: On 29 September 1939 she was an Unpaid domestic duties.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Publishing Narrative Report Problems

Postby tatewise » 14 Sep 2018 10:32

Evelyn, I've started a new thread for these specific problems, because Published Report styles for discussion (15254) is intended for more generic Report style discussions.

As you should know, changes to Sentence Templates, as with most customisations, will affect all Projects.

I have no problem with your original Census Template producing extra fullstops :
<br>{individual} appeared in the {=TextIf(GetDisplayText(%FACT.DATE%,min) = "29 September 1939","1939 National Register","Census")} {date} residing at {_place} {age}
( The {=TextIf( . . . )} component should have no effect on fullstops. )
Are fullstops still a problem or has it been resolved?
If still a problem, please post a screenshot of the extra fullstops.
I suspect they are caused by something else.

Please explain the "problem with this census output is that there are both individual and family versions and I have absolutely no idea which has been imported from TMG". What exactly is the problem?
The Individual and Family facts have their own different Sentence Templates.
Why does it matter whether they were imported from TMG or created within FH/AS?

The problem with the Occupation Sentence is that Unpaid domestic duties is not an Occupation.
The Sentence Template is dumb, and not a grammatical expert, so you must adapt the Occupation value to suit.
e.g. Use unpaid domestic worker instead.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Return to “General Usage”