* A Family Group

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
peterbel
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

A Family Group

Post by peterbel » 09 Sep 2018 17:13

Sorry if this a dumb question.
I am considering using the Book facility in FH and it occurred to me that if the family I was already a 'group' it would make selection very easy. I dipped into making a book and selecting all the family members to be included would take a long time as well as easy to miss some. Is this a sensible way to go or pointless? If sensible, how is it done?
Thanks.
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.

tatewise
Megastar

Re: A Family Group

Post by tatewise » 09 Sep 2018 17:29

A Book is largely just an amalgam of typical Reports and Diagrams optionally surrounded by a Table of Contents and an Index.

So once you are familiar with how to create the Reports and Diagrams to be included in the Book, the process is the same.

So lets assume you want to include an Individual Summary Report for your family 'group'.
When you start a Report the Select Records dialogue is presented for you to choose relatives via the Named Lists tab at the top and the Add Relatives and Add using Query buttons at the bottom.
Do you need further advice on how to use those to select your family 'group' quickly?
If so let us know your difficulties, and how your family 'group' is related to you.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

peterbel
Platinum

Post by peterbel » 10 Sep 2018 11:56

Thanks Mike, a helpful description of the procedure.
It was the 'Named list' step I was searching for, this gives me a 'group' to use.

I have only done the occasional report when passing info to other family members, they are a lot more powerful than I had realised.
One simple question.
Using the Individual Summary Report as an example. How do you choose the initial individual, the one on the first page?
If I wanted it to be the ancestor from whom the family descend from, for example.

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 10 Sep 2018 12:06

If you simply want a descendant report you could simply insert that report in. If you want to use summary reports then add the first person then use the Add Relations at the bottom to add all the descendants and any extras you want.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 10 Sep 2018 12:39

As Jane says, a Descendants report might suit your purposes best. There is the Descendants by Generation report (under Narrative Reports) or the Descendant Outline (under Outline Reports).

However if you do use the Individual Summary Report you have complete control over the order in which people appear, not just over who comes first. Once you have the list in the Select Records window, use the up/down arrows at the top right to adjust the order.
Lorna

peterbel
Platinum

Post by peterbel » 10 Sep 2018 13:25

Thanks all.
I will explore the reports available to see what could be a suitable selection.

Just just soooooo much to this software !