* Create dynamic website

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
polomora
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Create dynamic website

Post by polomora »

Hello,

Still learning how to use FH, I'm now trying to create the first online version my family tree.

Am I correct in saying that the website can only display a text-based summary of family links? Ie, is it possible to dynamically generate and display family ancestors and descendants? I haven't been able to find this option in the generated index. Seems obvious to me that this is the whole point of having the information online. Or have I missed something?

Thanks for a great product.

Paul
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Create dynamic website

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'dynamic' links, Paul.
The names of all relatives are hyperlinks to their web page, so by following parent links you will reach ancestors, and child links will reach descendants.

You can include any Diagrams you want as separate web pages.

See how_to:make_family_tree|> Make a Family Tree CD/DVD or Website for details, especially Wizard Step 4 and the Tips and Tricks.

Other products offer alternative features. See links:index|> Member Web Sites.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You can also include Ancestor and Descendant outlines which make great "jumping off" points for people viewing your generated site.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I started using the FH web generator at the beginning of this year and I have set myself a task to update my website at the end of every month, and it doesn't take very long. When the generator is running and the upload is taking place you can be doing other things on your PC. I'm not convinced that dynamic updating would be a good idea because, for example, if living people are excluded the first thing you would have to do when adding a new living person is to set the appropriate flags, but I suspect information might 'escape' regardless. I do check each month that all living people have the right flags set.

My website can be found at http://www.wilkinsonransomefamilytree.co.uk/
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
polomora
Gold

Post by polomora »

Many thanks tatewise, Jane and dewilkinson for the replies.

What I meant was: From the generated website, is it possible to generate on the fly, a diagrammatic view, similar to what I see from within FH itself when I click on an entry in the Records window and then select one of the diagram types, such as Ancestor or All Relatives? Ideally, I'd like to be able to select a person listed in alphabetic sequence, and then display the diagram for this person.

@tatewise: I could attach pre-generated diagrams, but then I suppose it would be necessary to do this for every person in the database. I was hoping this could be done dynamically by the website itself, for example by selecting a person in the Generation tab, and then be able to display one of the diagrams on the fly from the context of this person.

Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Paul, that is not possible with FH generated websites.

You can Vote for Wish List Ref 246 Family Tree Diagrams in CD/DVD/Website pages that proposes something similar.
polomora
Gold

Post by polomora »

Thanks Mike for confirming what I had suspected. I've added my vote for this feature.

For me, this is the essential point of creating a family tree website. This would allow my extended family to use the site to dynamically display charts that are of specific interest to them. I would expect that casual users would not be interested in a textual renditon of this information. Without this possibility, the website and DVD creation tools are not very useful.

Paul
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

You could look at something like GedSite (a standalone website generator) to see if it meets your needs.
polomora
Gold

Post by polomora »

Thanks ColeValleyGirl.

As I understand it, FH's strength is its data gathering ability and GEDCOM compatibility. For online publishing, I should use other software, such as GedSite, Gedmill or Ancestral Author.

Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You might take a look at fhugdownloads:contents:service_zoompast|> Service ~ ZoomPast that offers a novel way of presenting family trees.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Paul, I'd agree.

Gedmill is no longer supported, but will produce 3 generation mini-trees if you're happy to live without support -- I used it for a long time (and it's free).

Ancestral Author (I believe -- I've no experience with it) produces hyperlinked pdfs with no diagrams -- not free?

Gedsite includes clickable ancestor/descendant hierarchies and 3-generation mini-trees (plus spouses and children and siblings) -- I now use this -- not free. There's also a Gedcom Publisher product from the same stable at https://www.gedcompublisher.com which will create an ebook format -- I have no experience of this, but it's an option I haven't seen elsewhere.

Another alternative is TNG (not free), if you can meet the hosting requirements.

links:index|> Member Web Sites gives you other options with examples to explore.
polomora
Gold

Post by polomora »

Many thanks all for the recommendations.

Great forum. I'm glad I chose FH.

Paul