* Sorting search results

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Sorting search results

Post by E Wilcock »

After using the Search button, (not a query) the records for individuals show up in alphabetical order by forename.

Is there any way of getting them by surname?

They still show in order for forename if one moves them to the Results Window.

I used to use Search quite a lot when I moved to fh and didnt notice this inconvenience, but my projects are far larger now.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Sorting search results

Post by tatewise »

Do you mean the Find Record binoculars icon (same as Edit > Find command)?

That finds any combination of record types, not just Individual records.
So the concept of Surname does not apply in general, and cannot be used even in the Results Set window.
However, you could select all the Result Set rows and use Query Menu > Add Selected Cell Records to Named List.
Then that Named List could have a Surname column to sort by for just Individual records.

If you are searching for people's Names &/or Life Dates try the Records Window on Individuals tab Filter boxes.
Then if there is a Surname column defined you can click on that column heading.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

What happens if your click on the Record column header? Have you added a column for first name to the records window and have it sorted by that?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

After a Find Record for Munro, clicking the Record header sorts by Record name, but Evelyn wants by Surname:
SearchResults.png
SearchResults.png (34.96 KiB) Viewed 5983 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I suspect this is because the search can have multiple record types, so it's sorting simply on the record display text.

Using a query for a specific record type using contains would avoid the problem.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Good morning E Wilcock,

I am wary of adding my pennyworth when Jane and Mike have added the weight of their knowledge to your query. However, in my 'Project', I select View, Record Lists, Individuals. This provides me with a table of individuals sorted by surname. I can then re-order the table by column title, either in Ascending or Descending order by selecting the column title cell with the right-hand mouse button and then selecting the option using the mouse left-hand button.

How you might apply or use this table in your research, I am unable to say and shall bow to the greater knowledge of Jane and Mike?

My regards, Bill
Attachments
Individual_list_surname_order.png
Individual_list_surname_order.png (96.2 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you all.
Yes, thank you, I know how to add columns to the list of individual records and the list of records in a named list.

Mike's screen shot from the sample project shows the situation exactly.

I understand that I could use a query. But when I moved to fh, one of the great joys was using the Find binoculars.
Indeed, I think one was instructed to do so, to e.g. gather together everyone in a household address on a particular census. Obviously unless the address is an institution, that is usually a small group.

There is a work round - to select all the records and put them into a temporary named list where they sort under surname.

I wondered if there was another way to customise. I frequently think something is impossible on fh and it turns out not to be.

I use Find text a lot for all sorts of things. Particularly data that is not correctly entered according to GEDCOM standard. Like notes to myself in Notes which are designed to be found in this way. When one comes to fh from another program ones first instinct is to duplicate what one had before. Mike helped to do this for me. But after a year or two one begins to exploit the capabilities (and convenience) of the new software - This is not a complaint. I like the Search button very much.

The order by forename must have something to do with the ease of entering forename and surname in the same field in fh - so something that Calico Pie could adjust?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The reason the Find Record list is in Forename order for Individual records is because the list can contain ANY types of record (Family, Source, Media, etc.) and simply uses the Name of the record.

However, there is the Tools > Preferences > Records Window option to Display individuals surname first.
That applies to the Individuals tab and Named Lists in the Records Window.
It could also be applied to the Find Record list despite holding all types of record (just like a Named List can).
So perhaps that should be suggested to Calico Pie?
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike - Sorry to waste your time but how do I request them? I have found only the fault reporting link. Does one just email Calico Pie?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Use the Support Centre Ticket System as per how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.