* Media Problem: 'an error has occurred - unable to load object'

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
goodwin2
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Media Problem: 'an error has occurred - unable to load object'

Post by goodwin2 »

I'm attempting to add a marriage record from ancestry.com to my media file. I've used their "save to" method and put the record in my media file as a .jpg. When I try to put it in the individual media box I get the above message. I also copied the file to the desktop and dragged it into the media for the individual. Got the same answer. I even used another browser, copied the file to the media area and again got the same answer.

I haven't been able to find an answer to this problem so hope you can help with this issue.

Best --
GSB
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Media Problem: "an error has occurred - unable to load object"

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, double-check it is a genuine JPG file by opening it in a photo editor.

Secondly, try deleting the ThumbCache.dat file from within the Project ...\<name>.fh_data\Cache\ folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

When you say you use the ‘Save to’ option, are you looking at the record or the image on Ancestry.

I have got into the habit of using the ‘Download’ button to the right of the image I’m viewing, so I’m sure of getting the image and not the record. Also it only involves one-click, whereas clicking the ‘Save to’ option, you have to click again to select ‘Save to desktop’, with the added risk of clicking the wrong choice.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Thanks Mike. I deleted that file that appeared to be "rather" large and the image opened. I don't understand why that particular .jpg would not "load" or open as I subsequently found other pictures, etc. that downloaded and opened without a problem BEFORE I deleted the file. And I had opened the file just in my Paint Shop program so there was nothing wrong with the picture.

I do the "save to" in ancestry and have the image directed to my media file, then open it for the individual's records. Works out pretty good unless I have been sending census files to a different location and forget to redirect. Sometimes I download to desktop because I need to clarify the image before adding it to my media file.

Thanks again - didn't have a CLUE re the problem.
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The problem is that the ThumbCache.dat file does sometimes get TOO big!
It holds the thumbnail images for EVERY media image you have ever opened in FH, even for media that have been deleted or changed, etc.
Occasionally that ThumbCache.dat file needs to be deleted and allow FH to refresh it with just the current media thumbnails.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Aye Mike, never had the problem, but thank you for this tip.
My regards, Bill
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Thanks again Mike. I've made note of the "gets too big" issue so will have that in mind if I get another message that says unable to load. Hopefully FH6 is able to handle really big files as I am up to some 61,000 people and I have no idea how many media files.

Best to the helpful people here!
GSB