* Licencing Question

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
wianb
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Licencing Question

Post by wianb »

Being brand new to this Genealogy thing I have been trying 4 different software packages for the last couple of weeks and have decided on FH. So far I've gone back 5 generations, most are still a bit sketchy but I've caught the bug!!
Before I make a purchase I have a question - can I install FH on 2 machines with 1 licence (laptop & PC) or does that require 2 separate licences?
If 2 licences are required then I will have FH on the PC and will install TreeView on the laptop, bit of a pain but I'll live with it :)
Ian Bonner
Fathers family - Scotland
Mothers family - Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados.
BillH
Megastar

Re: Licencing Question

Post by BillH »

Wianb,

The license allows it to be installed on 2 computers, but you can only use it on one of those computers at a time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Ian.

Bill is correct. For license terms see how_to:about#licence_agreement|> Licence Agreement.

To migrate from PC to laptop see how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.

Many users have FH on two PC synchronised via cloud storage.

To advance your research see research:index#hints_tips|> Genealogy Research > Hints & Tips.

Take care to record Source Citations that confirm your ancestral connections, as advised in glossary:sources|> Source Records which is one of the many topics in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wianb
Platinum

Post by wianb »

Have now bitten the bullet and purchased a licence. After quite a bit of research (and playing around) I think I've made the right decision with FH. Now need some time to sit down and learn all of the ins and outs of the software.
Ian Bonner
Fathers family - Scotland
Mothers family - Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados.
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Now need some time to sit down and learn all of the ins and outs of the software.
and 14 years later I'm still learning about the ins and outs of FH :roll: so don't wait to learn ALL of them before you start using it. ;)
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)