* Condensing charts

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
burtonl1950
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Condensing charts

Post by burtonl1950 »

I have entered the names, dob's and death dates into the program. When I went to print preview it showed I have 56 pages to print. Some of the pages only have one horizontal line of info on them. How can I condense the charts so that I can print them out without it being so many pages. I watched the video online re: printing, but I still cannot figure it out.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Condensing charts

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

I guess you are viewing a Diagram of some sort.

The easiest solution is to use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and choose the option to Adjust PDF File ... into One Page and ensure the Printer chosen is Family Historian PDF. Then print the resulting PDF File.
There are extensive details in how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram.

There are also methods for adjusting the Scale of Diagrams to fit pages as explained in Getting the Most From Family Historian in Chapter 11. Scaling & Printing Diagrams. See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and follow its links.
See also how_to:getting_ready_to_print|> Getting ready to Print Diagrams.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
burtonl1950
Silver

Post by burtonl1950 »

Thank you tatewise for responding. I did what you said step by step and at first I got a message
saying :Family Historian is not responding:. Afterwards each time I tried the little circle kept going
round and round. Do I need to install some kind of printer device?
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

You may find that the FH PDF printer is waiting for you to give it a filename. I found this out yesterday, and at the last minute, just before I gave up, I spotted that the printer was siganalling on the windows task-bar, waiting a response. Sadly, this dialogue box was tucked away to the side of the screem, so I didn’t spot it.
Try again, and look out for a dialogue box asking for a filename!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
burtonl1950
Silver

Post by burtonl1950 »

Thank you, I'll give it another try.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There have been several recent postings regarding this One Page PDF mode misbehaving, and Mike Loney just reported another.
I have just tried using it, and it does not reliably produce a One Page PDF, so will investigate further and feedback results.
This misbehaviour has only started recently, but whether it is FH or Windows updates that are the cause is not clear.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

No problem with Windows 7.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

PeterR wrote:No problem with Windows 7.
It wasn’t a real problem in Windows 10 either, just me not realising the dialogue box was open, and awaiting a reply.

I have a very large screen, with 4 or 5 windows open, and just didn’t spot the dialogue box, as it opened in another part of the screen, and not in front of the FH window where I would have noticed it :D

Now I know what to expect, it works fine.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

For the avoidance of any doubt, the dialogue should appear in the top left-hand corner of the monitor screen, as shown in how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram#fh_version_4_later|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram > FH Version 4 & Later.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

One issue I have recently discovered involves the Windows default Printing Preferences for the Family Historian PDF settings.
By default after initial installation the page Orientation is set to Portrait mode.

If the user alters that to Landscape mode, the Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) options using Family Historian PDF are all disrupted due to the wrong Orientation being applied (unless the Diagram Height & Width happen to be very similar).

In Windows 10 that is set via Start > Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners > Family Historian PDF > Manage > Printing preferences > Orientation.

I have reported this scenario to Calico Pie.

See how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram#family_historian_pdf_defaults|> Family Historian PDF Defaults.