* Error on saving or backing up small gedcom

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
David2416
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Error on saving or backing up small gedcom

Post by David2416 »

Error 1.jpg
Error 2.jpg
Dir.jpg
Can anyone shed light on this and how to clear please.

Has been running quite ok till tried to close down just now.

Update this morning: Project opens normally but behaviour as reported above, also Project Window empty!
David2416
Superstar

Re: Error on saving or backing up small gedcom

Post by David2416 »

David2416 wrote:Error 1.jpg
Error 2.jpg
Dir.jpg

Can anyone shed light on this and how to clear please.

Has been running quite ok till tried to close down just now.

Update this morning: Project opens normally but behaviour as reported above, also Project Window empty!
I'm thinking this is a registry problem -- so am going to copy the entire project folder and then re-run upgrade_fh6_to_6.2.7_dl in admin mode.
but this failed with
Upgrade error 2.jpg
The file is clearly thereso what is happening???
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if it is a file access permissions problem.

In your first screenshot there is David - Copy.ged and David.ged but they both have the blue Notepad icon instead of the Gedcom file icon of a triangle of 3 green boxes.

Right-click on those two files, and some folders in their path, one at a time and choose Properties.
Check the Security tab has an entry for David (PC-Name\David) that allows Full control, Modify, Read & execute, etc.
In particular, check the C:\Users\David\ and C:\Users\David\Documents\ folders.
Post a screenshot of a sample Security tab.

Try opening the David - Copy.ged file using Notepad and then Save it with a new name in the same folder.
Does that fail?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

PROBLEM SOLVED

There is a setting in Windows Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Windows Defender Security Centre > Virus & threat protection > Ransomware protection

If Controlled folder access is set to On both Family Historian and Ancestral Sources need to be added as allowed apps as shown below:
Security.jpg
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

tatewise wrote:I wonder if it is a file access permissions problem.
HI Mike, thanks for your reply

- it is indeed a file access problem, but not I have found in the properties section!!!

It seems to be a new setting in Windows security.

I have full access in the security tab as I first checked.

I have set .ged to open by default in notepad for my convenience.

Thanks for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, please report that issue to Calico Pie using the how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting method.

You seem to be relying on Windows Defender for your anti-virus protection.
That performs poorly in all the reviews of anti-virus products I have seen.
Providing you understand the risks, then that may be OK, otherwise I would recommend using one of the other free anti-virus products such as Avast, AVG, or Kaspersky.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Reported as requested:

This email confirms that your inquiry (#108208) is in our customer support queue. A real person will be in touch as soon as possible. We reply to all inquiries in the order in which they are received. You can review the status of your request and add additional comments by visiting our support centre
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

You are quite right I am relying on Windows Defender, I believe the built in protection it offers has improved immensely since the early days.

I know there a lot of reviews out there but here's one https://www.technadu.com/windows-defender-review/17527/
This also has links to reviews of other products, such as AVG, Bitdefender, Avira and Avast, although not Kapersky. I did also look at the Which? report a while back.

I also use Quad4 as the DNS server.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are two key points to ponder.
  1. Much of the protection offered by Windows Defender is applicable even if you have another anti-virus product installed.
    The Firewall and Family options apply unconditionally.
    Similarly Cloud-delivered protection and Automatic sample submission.
    On the Virus & threat protection page, under Windows Defender Antivirus options at the bottom, you can auto-enable Periodic scanning despite having another anti-virus product installed.
  2. It is bit misleading in the Review you referenced comparing Windows Defender against the Industry average
    "Detects 96.3% of the newest threats. The industry average is 99%"
    Although they do also say:
    "Lacks deep customization options; Scores lower in lab tests as compared to its competitors"
    If you check the AV-TEST results at https://www.av-test.org/en/news/which-s ... tection-1/ and scroll the blue tables of results left & right then Microsoft Windows Defender comes near the bottom of the best 18 products, with many scoring perfect results of 6/6 and 100%.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Response from Calico Pie:
To: David Cooper

Thanks for letting us know it's another one we can now advise on. It would make sense if you lock the folder down then you need to allow each program in to access it.

Unfortunately for obvious reasons, it's not possible to set access from the programs which need to access the information.

Ros

Family Historian Support
Calico Pie
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

tatewise wrote:There are two key points to ponder.
I understand your points and read through that article. I am satisfied with the precautions I currently take. Hopefully I won't have to eat my words ;)

Latest WhatsApp scam is offering a £75 voucher clebrating Costa's 50th birthday.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure I fully understand the Calico Pie response from Ros.

I was hoping they may have an elevated process as a software developer for reporting such things to Microsoft.

From the Windows Defender Security Centre > Virus & threat protection settings the Submit a sample manually links to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission where you can as a Home customer submit files that you believe have been incorrectly classified as malware, i.e. FH and AS executables.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

My understanding is that the protect folder option was turned on, this means it's up to the user to specify which programs other than operating system level ones can write to the folder. I use Windows defender and have no problems with FH and it's backups so I suspect that it's an option you need to turn on to protect a selected folder.

The programs have not been identified as Malware simply they are not known as programs authorised to the folder.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Jane wrote:My understanding is that the protect folder option was turned on, this means it's up to the user to specify which programs other than operating system level ones can write to the folder. I use Windows defender and have no problems with FH and it's backups so I suspect that it's an option you need to turn on to protect a selected folder.

The programs have not been identified as Malware simply they are not known as programs authorised to the folder.
That's my understanding too. The problem was resolved once I added FH and AS to the allowed list.
tatewise wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand the Calico Pie response from Ros.

I was hoping they may have an elevated process as a software developer for reporting such things to Microsoft.

From the Windows Defender Security Centre > Virus & threat protection settings the Submit a sample manually links to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission where you can as a Home customer submit files that you believe have been incorrectly classified as malware, i.e. FH and AS executables.
Shall I submit samples? or should this be done by Calico Pie?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I was unaware of the Windows Defender Security Centre option for Controlled folder access.
However, it seems that option is disabled by default, so David, did you enable it some time in the past?

You should have got an Unauthorized changes blocked Notification (bottom right of Windows toolbar).
That should have lead to the Controlled folder access settings.
See How to Protect Your Files From Ransomware.

Yes, the file submission feature is probably not applicable in this instance.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

tatewise wrote:so David, did you enable it some time in the past?
Yes I did.
tatewise wrote:You should have got an Unauthorized changes blocked Notification (bottom right of Windows toolbar).
That should have lead to the Controlled folder access settings.
I didn't notice such a message ;)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since FH had been running OK for sometime, I am interested in the time frame between enabling Controlled folder access and the failure you originally reported. I would have expected the failure to have immediately followed enabling the option.

As a rule of thumb, any failure is usually related to the most recent changes, so they should be your first port of call.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

A couple of days, it came to light when I tried to exit FH having made changes. FH opened as usual. Remembering that I had changed the setting led me to the solution. It should have been my first port of call.