*Relatives, groups and pools?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Relatives, groups and pools?

Postby E Wilcock » 07 Jul 2018 08:16

This question applies also to the Export Gedcom plug in.
In fh one can easily show a chart with a family group or All relatives.
Is there any way of selecting everyone on a chart to add to a named list for Gedcom export?

In TMG one could easily select a family group of people and I wanted today to move about 20 people from one project to another. I use the Export GEDCOM plug in. I can make a named list of all individuals in a particular school. But I want to move them with their family too. Parents, spouse, children if any have been entered.

In searching help - I found the word Pool but dont know what that is in fh?

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Relatives, groups and pools?

Postby tatewise » 07 Jul 2018 09:49

Firstly, do not use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to move records from one FH Project to another FH Project.
Instead use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File built-in FH command.

In the Export Gedcom File dialogue you choose records via the Select... button.
There top left there is a Named Lists tab from which to choose members of a Named List.
For each such Individual listed on the left use Add using Query > All Relatives to add all Ancestors & Descendants.
However, you only mention parents, spouses & children, so may not want all generations.
In that case you will need a custom Query similar to Immediate Family but including parents.
Also see Knowledge Base > Export GEDCOM File Command.

An FH Help > Search for Pool explains what a Pool is all about.
Essentially it identifies all Individuals related to one another either directly or indirectly by marriage, however distant that might be.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Postby LornaCraig » 07 Jul 2018 10:13

E Wilcock wrote:Is there any way of selecting everyone on a chart to add to a named list for Gedcom export?

Yes, if you prefer to work from a diagram this can be done easily. Ensure that the entire diagram is visible, then use the mouse to draw a rectangle round everyone. (Left-click and drag the mouse from one corner to the opposite corner). This will select all the boxes in the diagram. Then use Edit > Add to Named List. See Knowledge Base > Create an export Gedcom based on a diagram.
Lorna

E Wilcock
Megastar

Postby E Wilcock » 07 Jul 2018 14:02

O thank you both so much. I have copied and pasted this guidance.

E Wilcock
Megastar

Postby E Wilcock » 21 Jul 2018 08:23

tatewise wrote:Firstly, do not use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to move records from one FH Project to another FH Project.
Instead use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File built-in FH command.

In the Export Gedcom File dialogue you choose records via the Select... button.
There top left there is a Named Lists tab from which to choose members of a Named List.
For each such Individual listed on the left use Add using Query > All Relatives to add all Ancestors & Descendants.
However, you only mention parents, spouses & children, so may not want all generations.
In that case you will need a custom Query similar to Immediate Family but including parents.
Also see Knowledge Base > Export GEDCOM File Command.

Yesterday in the archive I wanted to move a group of 10 people from one fh Project to another. I had them in a Named list.
I remembered Mike's instruction to use the fh built in Export.
But thereafter got hopelessly lost.
This was a list of pupils in a particular school on a census, all with the same source.
For a few of them I had parents and siblings who I wanted to export as well. But my attempts to Add Using Query failed. fh selected quite a different person and offered their relatives.

The next problem came when I used the merge and compare to import the Gedcom to the other project. There were only two duplicate individuals. But the list showed so many sources that I went back and re-exported with no sources at all.
This does not matter as they were on the list only because they shared the same census source.
My understanding is that using the plug in would have enabled me to select and export just the sources attached to the people being exported?

I would like to do all this again using my home computer, just to learn how it should be done. But my attempts this morning have failed.
The positive thing is that the new search worked very well, and I got back to this thread.

Return to “General Usage”