*Name Change Fact set

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Name Change Fact set

Postby E Wilcock » 07 Jul 2018 07:34

I have entered hundreds of people over the last few weeks - fast efficient data entry. But I am still finding problems with using fh.

I have a dated Name Change on a record image and the fact Name change does not show up on my list.
When I searched to download the special fact set again, I found I already had it but even after downloading again, it still doesnt show up, even when I ask to see hidden facts.

I use multiple projects and I never know which project has access to additional down loads?

What is more when searching for help I am still useless and got this response, i.e. even tho I put name change in inverted commas the word name was ignored.
Search found 4078 matches: "name change"
Searched query: name change

ignored: name

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Name Change Fact set

Postby tatewise » 07 Jul 2018 09:27

There does appear to be a little confusion.
The Name Changes Fact Set does NOT have a Name Change Fact Definition.
The Facts (Event/Attribute) are shown top right in Knowledge Base > Fact Set ~ Name Changes.
In Tools > Fact Types set the Fact Set: filter top left to Name Changes and those four Facts are listed.

I don't understand what you mean by "a dated Name Change on a record image".
Those four Facts are added to Individual records with an optional Date and Place just like any other Fact.
Exactly which Name Change Fact have you added, and exactly where?

See also Knowledge Base > How to Handle People With Multiple Names.

The general rule is that ALL customisations (including downloads) apply to ALL Projects on the same PC.

Your Search was in the Forums, and it does have some odd nuances.
Instead try the Search on the Home page, which searches both Forums and Knowledge Base.
I advise you get into the habit of always searching there to cover the entire FHUG online database (BUT this will not include all topics in the FH program Help pages).

BTW: We are growing a Knowledge Base > Knowledge Base Index and suggestions for topics will be welcomed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Postby E Wilcock » 07 Jul 2018 14:28

Yes you are right. I was mightily confused. I did indeed think there was a Fact called Name Change which I could then date.
The document I am dealing with was not a name change by deed poll.
In this case there is just a note that after a certain date (post divorce), a minor child appears in the records with the mother's birth surname as surname.

What I would like to have is a dated name change event and I think one is being told to create a custom event? And to use a custom event as well as to add the Name in the Name pane with a citation and the date in the citation?

I will do this as I need it quite often. You get this when a couple split up - e.g. due to emigration problems or war - and if they get together again the children revert to the father's surname. But also one gets surname changes both inside and outside the UK which are not by deed poll. So it is a bit amazing that one cant date these names without customising.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Postby tatewise » 07 Jul 2018 15:04

Blame the GEDCOM specification for what you can and cannot do.
Yes, create your own custom Attribute or perhaps use the existing Known As Attribute in the Extended Set Fact Set as mentioned in Knowledge Base > Custom Facts from other Products.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Return to “General Usage”