* Re-installation of Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
iant44
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Re-installation of Family Historian

Post by iant44 »

I have currently FH v6.2 on my laptop. Whilst working on a "hint" through "Find My Past" and saving the details to my relevant ancestor, when I tried to return to my main Family Historian window. the message came up "Error in installation, please re-install".
I have tried to recover Family Historian through my back up files, through C:\ProgramData\CalicoPie\Family Historian etc to no avail it repeating on screen to re-install.
Does this mean I have to re-install by inserting the original FH Disc? if so, when Any advice of what to do next would be much appreciated
Thanks Ian
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Re-installation of Family Historian

Post by tatewise »

Ian, that is an unusual scenario.
The installation files are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\ & Windows Registry, but cannot be restored from backups.
What you are thinking of are the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ customisation files.

So you need to re-install using the FH installation files.
Download and Save the installation file from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/down ... ee-upgrade as explained in fhugdownloads:contents:family_historian_6.x.y_upgrade|> Family Historian Version 6.2.7 Upgrade.
I suggest you right-click the downloaded installation file ƒh icon and choose Run as administrator from the dropdown menu as explained in the how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems Introduction.
With any luck that will be sufficient.

If you need to perform a full un-install and re-install, then you will need your FH V6 purchased installation media.
Was that a CD or Calico Pie download?
Was it a full V6 licence or a V5 to V6 Upgrade?
You will also need the V6 licence registration details - do you have them?
If it was an upgrade you will need the V5 licence registration details - do you have them?
It is worth doing that check now even if you don't need to use them.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
iant44
Silver

Post by iant44 »

Hello Mike and thank you for your response,
I'm sorry I've taken some time to reply but i'm in the middle of a family evening and just saw your post flag up. I cannot follow your advice at this time but will try tomorrow and report back to you.
The FH V6 was purchased by CD which I have in my possession together with the full V6 licence registration number and details, and I have downloaded upgrades when necessary.
Meanwhile thank you for your time, I'll be in touch

Regards Ian
iant44
Silver

Post by iant44 »

Hello again Mike, I couldn't wait -
managed to sneak away from all to sort out the problem.
Turns out didn't need the CD or V6 licence, followed your advice and instructions for the Download to the letter and it installed and retrieved all the files a dream.
Thank you so much for help I cannot express my thanks enough

Kind regards Ian