* Child's sole link to father.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Aspinall
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Child's sole link to father.

Post by Aspinall »

Hello there, I am new here, I am really struggling here as I will be leaving for my Reunion on the 30th June, but I am desperate for a help here, please.

My struggle is this, there's a couple each had a child of their own from their previous relationship, then they got married then had children together. Now, how can I link the father to his own child without in between the wife? Same as the mother to her own child, please. I have been trying to get this for 2 days but to no success.

Please help,

Bismarck
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Child's sole link to father.

Post by Valkrider »

One way to do this is to add a second marriage to both with an unknown spouse and then add the child to the respective families. If you know the name of the previous spouses then use that instead of unknown.
Aspinall
Silver

Post by Aspinall »

Hi Valkrider,

Thank you so much for the reply. I added the spouse to the ex-wife but the link is not showing next to her. I don't know what happened? Did I miss anything in the process?

Please let me know.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Who is the diagram Rooted on? The most likely explanation is that the Wife is not related to the Root of the diagram so her children from a previous relationship will not show.

You could simply add an extra diagram for the Wife using Diagram>Insert Into Diagram>diagram and selecting a Ancestor descendant diagram for her and tidying up the boxes to show what you want.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Aspinall
Silver

Post by Aspinall »

Hi Jane, thank you. Sorry I was struggling to explain my situation though I am not in the right mind to focus due to the very short time left for me to go.

[Who is the diagram Rooted on? The most likely explanation is that the Wife is not related to the Root of the diagram so her children from a previous relationship will not show.]

Yes, you are so spot on to this. Thank you. She is not rooted to the diagram. It's a Male. It's her new husband. She had a child from her previous relationship before her new husband. And I am trying to link her child to her alone.

You could simply add an extra diagram for the Wife using Diagram>Insert Into Diagram and selectiang a Ancestor descendant diagram for her and tidying up the boxes to show what you want.

Jane could you please kindly direct me here because I just followed your direction but I'm struggling to understand few things popped up here and there, please.

Please let me know.

kind regards,

Bismarck
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Are you Rooting the diagram on her Husband or someone else? If it's the husband use a Diagram centred on the couple the instructions for which are in the How To Help on FH under Diagrams.

To add a diagram follow the option I suggested then then select "the wife" from the list. This will give you a second diagram, once you have that you can use the Box Move tools to put it where you want and the Hide option to hide any duplicated boxes you don't need.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure whether you are struggling with establishing the database relationships between records, or with showing them in a Diagram.

Take a look at the Family Historian Sample Project that has similar multiple Spouse marriages.

Focus on Anthony Edward MUNRO who has two wives Julia and Susan who have separate Spouse tabs in his Property Box and Children can be added to each tab separately depending on their parents.

Focus on Susan Isabel DOWLING who has two husbands Anthony and Nigel who have separate Spouse tabs in her Property Box and Children can be added to each tab separately depending on their parents.

Your couple is like Anthony Edward MUNRO and Susan Isabel DOWLING who both have other spouses.
Does your couple have two Spouse tabs in both of their Property Boxes as highlighted in yellow below?
Are the Children listed separately on each tab?

If you don't know the name of a spouse, just click the + on the right-hand Spouse tab and use Add Child without adding a Spouse. Then use the black arrows to the right, and adjust the order of the tabs to be chronological.

If the problem is the Diagram then in Focus Window select blue bar that runs under their boxes and states their Marriage details (ringed in red in screenshot below), then display an All Relatives Diagram which will include all four spouses and all their children.
multi-spouses.png
multi-spouses.png (191.6 KiB) Viewed 8021 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Aspinall
Silver

Re: Child's sole link to Parent.

Post by Aspinall »

Hi Jane & Tatewise

Thank you so much for really being here for my desperate help. You are both awesome with great knowledge and understandings.

I am responsible for my family's Reunion History and I am displaying a long big family tree at the Reunion. And what I am trying to achieve is to display the lineage of links to links on the paper for everyone to see.

So I am trying to display a child's link to the rooted father and another child's link to the mother (new wife). After following your recommendations here and there, all I'm seeing here is their other children's links to them instead of their child's link to them from previous relationships.

Hi Jane, sorry I've tried your suggestion but I was a bit confused when I saw a diagram overlapped another diagram?

Sorry, I'm just sitting here staring at my computer don't really know what to do and what I am missing here.lol And I'm just a bit lost hoping for a crystal-clear step-by-step that'll help direct me to the solution instead I'm just figuring this out is all that I am doing right now.lol

Desperate. Help

Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I assume your "rooted father" and "the mother (new wife)" are a married couple?

If so, then show them in the Focus Window just like my screenshot for Anthony Edward MUNRO and Susan Isabel DOWLING.
Now click the blue Marriage bar below them, similar to my screenshot circled in red.
Lastly click the All Relatives Diagram icon in the toolbar (or use View > Standard Diagram Types > All Relatives).
That should display all the spouses and children of that chosen couple. Is that what you want?

Otherwise, attach a screenshot of your Diagram so we can see exactly what your problem is.
Then we can talk in terms of actual names & relationships, that is difficult without being able to see your family structure.
See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice about how to use the Attachments tab below.

BTW: When you insert one Diagram tree into the original Diagram tree then they will usually overlap.
So use Diagram > Enable Moving/Resizing to open the Movement Control Box.
If you choose the Tree option, then you can move one Diagram tree relative to the other.
Aspinall
Silver

Post by Aspinall »

Hi Tatewise,

I have followed your direction as you explained it. And saw the whole thing on the second screen through View > Standard Diagram Types > All Relatives. But the problem is that my saved chart has all colors, shapes, etc, of my family tree been customized to my needs. Whereas the second screen (chart) is an original/default color, shapes, etc in it.

My saved charts is a big family tree but I can't afford to do this all over again customizing the colors, shapes, etc to my needs on the second chart.

Is there any other way of doing this, please?

It looks to me you can't display a child's (from another relationship) link to a sole parent (not rooted)?

Please let me know.

Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Whether your chart customisations can be used in another tree is difficult to answer without knowing how those customisations were applied. Have you saved a Diagram Type to preserve the customisations for future use?

If you have customised specific boxes by hand, then I doubt if they can be transferred to a new Diagram.

If the customisations have been created using automatically applied conditional expressions then there is a chance they can transferred.

Regarding the child link to sole parent, you are probably correct.
My gut feeling is that you will have to insert a sub-tree Diagram into your main Chart to show the child to sole parent link.

But as I said earlier, I cannot visualise the relationship that you can see, so please attach a screenshot to help me.

Also a sample of screenshot of the customisations, with a brief explanation of how they were achieved might give us an insight into whether they can be transferred to another tree.
Aspinall
Silver

Post by Aspinall »

bFW4OB.png
bFW4OB.png (86.32 KiB) Viewed 7851 times
Hi Tatewise,

Sorry it has been taken too long for me to learn every corner of the internet. As you can see the Mother (Falelua BOATH TUIOTI) in blue colour. On the left-hand-side is her new husband who also has two kids of his own. And in between them, they have two kids together. Now a Mother (on the blue) also has one child (of her own) that I have been trying to link to her like her husband's (own two kids). But it doesn't display the link after filling the child's information under her that I have been really struggling with.

And you can also see that I have customizes each person format profile with box fill, line, shape, shadow and text colours.

I hope I'm giving you something to see what I have been trying to achieve please.

Please let me know how I can achieve the displaying of a child's link to a Mother (blue).

Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The reason that Falelua's child is not shown is FH only shows direct blood relations of the diagram tree root, and their immediate married family relationships.
Owen ASPINALL is in the direct blood line, so all his children are shown.
Falelua is married to him, so she is shown.
But her spouse/partner and their child are not shown, as they are not married to a direct blood relation of the diagram tree root.

Rebuilding your existing Chart from scratch is probably going to be difficult for the reasons that you gave.

So the solution is to insert a small sub-tree diagram for Falelua and her child as follows.
  1. With your Chart open use Diagram > Insert into Diagram > Ancestor Tree and set Generations Up to 2.
  2. Click the Root Person box and Browse... to select the missing child of Falelua and click OK.
  3. That should insert just Falelua & child, and also open the Movement Control Box.
  4. Use the Tree option to move inserted Falelua to overlap Falelua in original Chart.
  5. Use the Box & Bar or Fixed Point options to adjust the position of boxes so they don't interfere with each other.
  6. Make sure the inserted Falelua box is smaller than original Falelua box.
  7. Use Diagram > Order & Grouping > Send Backward to move inserted Falelua box behind original Falelua box.
If you get stuck at any stage, then post a screenshot for assistance.
Aspinall
Silver

Post by Aspinall »

Hi Tatewise,

Thank you so much for the directed step by steps.

I do apologize if I am a pain in the neck here, sorry I am no computer wiz-kid here but a lost spirit looking for his family tree and puzzle it together. I'm a bit lost here again. Please bear with me. I have followed your direction here, but then I got stuck on its way.

[With your Chart open use Diagram > Insert into Diagram > Ancestor Tree and set Generations Up to 2.]

This popped up an overlapping box of Falelua, so I just leave it where it is.

[Click the Root Person box and Browse... to select the missing child of Falelua and click OK.]

I clicked on the Root Person's box (not Owen but the person that this Family Tree is built for) and the browsed, but I had no idea where I was going other than looking for the missing child in it. I was struggling. As well I couldn't see the Ok button anywhere.

Can you please kindly post the screenshots here so that'll help me know where I am going please Tatewise.

Please let me know,

Thank you

Kind regards,
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You clicked OK in the Choose Tree dialogue too soon.
(In the screenshots below Catherine REARDON represents your Falelua BOATH TUIOTI.)

After setting Generations Up: to 2 click the Root Person: box (highlighted in yellow) and choose Browse....
Then select the missing child of Falelua from the Individual Records and then click OK (twice).
InsertDiagram.png
InsertDiagram.png (55.2 KiB) Viewed 7778 times
That should display Falelua and her child, and open the Movement Control Box as shown below.
Then you can use steps 4. to 7. that I posted earlier to fit the new sub-tree into the main Chart.
(If you are unfamiliar with the Movement Control Box click its Help button for advice, but may still more advice here.)
InsertedDiagram.png
InsertedDiagram.png (34.69 KiB) Viewed 7778 times