* ancestor changed his name

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
sailor842
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

ancestor changed his name

Post by sailor842 »

I have an ancestor who lived most of his life as "Docker". I have finally located him in the US census' with his parents as "Deuchar".
I have entered this information into the program with his father as "head" including wife & children.
The 2 census' do not show up when he is selected as focus.
Do I have to delete him & reenter all the data?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: ancestor changed his name

Post by tatewise »

I note this is your first posting.
It has been moved to the FH General Usage Forum, which is more appropriate for FH specific questions.

Did you link the parents Deuchar to the existing Docker record by using the Add Father and Add Mother options, and similarly for his wife?
Did you use Automatic Source Citations when you added the Census Events?
Have you added Census Events to the existing Docker record with appropriate Source Citations?

Or perhaps you entered everything using Ancestral Sources?

Maybe you now have the son entered with the name Deuchar as son of the parents, AND also have the original Docker record without any parents?

If all three Deuchar records and the wife have appropriate Census Events, but the original Docker record is separate from them, then you should be able to use Edit > Merge/Compare Records to merge the son Deuchar record with original Docker record.

BUT please confirm the family record structure for all these people before you do anything.
OR at least do a Project Backup before making corrective adjustments.

Some screenshots of the family records in the Focus Window or a Diagram will help but ensure [Rec Id] are included.
Include the Property Box and Facts tab with a Census Event selected with Sources For pane open.
See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice on posting screenshot attachments.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sailor842
Platinum

Post by sailor842 »

Thank You Very Much.
I use Ancestral Sources as much as possible as it keeps me from missing items already at hand.
The merge function did what was needed.
again thanks...jack barney
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In future with this situation, where a member of the family already exists, when within Ancestral Sources select that existing person and use the Add Parent/Spouse/Sibling/Child... options lower right to complete the family relationships. Only then add them to the central Census grid, and if necessary use the Edit options to Remove/Move selected individual.... That way the Census and other events get added to the correct records, and the family relationships are correct, and no merging is needed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sailor842
Platinum

Post by sailor842 »

Thanks, will do.