* Changing the fact sentence wording

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
SpencerDudeUK
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Changing the fact sentence wording

Post by SpencerDudeUK »

In many cases in the facts I've created, it would be more appropriate (and better grammar) to say "He was born AT Southmead Hospital", rather than "He was born IN Southmead Hospital, or "He was cremated AT so-and-so crematorium", etc.

Can this wording be changed? I've not found a way to do this yet...?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Changing the fact sentence wording

Post by LornaCraig »

If you want the change to apply only to some instances you can edit the sentence in the individual’s property box. This change will apply only to that individual.

If you want the change to apply to all instances of the fact type the sentence template can be edited globally. To do this, use Tools > Fact Types and select the fact in question. Click Edit on the right. The sentence template can then be adjusted. Search the FH Help files for ‘Template Codes’, where you will find detailed guidance on what can be done.

You will need to consider how you record places and addresses. Replacing {place} with at {_place} will work If you have you entered ‘Southmead Hospital’ in the place field. However I would enter ‘Bristol’ in the place field (preferably followed by a county and country, but that is another discussion) and ‘Southmead Hospital’ in the address field. The sentence template I use is {individual} was born {date} {place}<, at {address}> which produces the sentence ‘He was born on .... in Bristol, at Southmead Hospital’.
Lorna
SpencerDudeUK
Diamond

Post by SpencerDudeUK »

OK. Fantastic response - thanks.
The only reason I put the full address in the place field is because you don't seem to be able to control the reporting, and the place comes out in the wrong area, i.e., under the date. I have seen some discussion about that on here - is it up for future enhancement? If you could concatenate the address to the place in that order, then it would be much better.
SpencerDudeUK
Diamond

Post by SpencerDudeUK »

...should have ingested your response better - I see you more or less covered that in the second part of your response - looks like I have a few changes to make :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates for full details.
But remember that mostly affects just Narrative Reports.
The problem you mention about where Place and Address appear in the columns of Tabulated reports such as the Individual Summary Report is unaffected by the Sentence Templates.
There are also issues regarding Place & Address when it comes to geocoding Latitude/Longitude that FH only applies to Places.
So some users ignore Address and put everything in Place, but that needs more complex Sentence Templates to decide where to use in and where to use at, that you may be interested in.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
SpencerDudeUK
Diamond

Post by SpencerDudeUK »

Changing the Fact Type Definition to something like "{individual} was born {date} at {address} {place}" works well, but only if you have a place and an address. Can it be written to change depending on whether an address has been added or not? I'm thinking possibly of an If, Then, Else scenario....or am I getting too complicated?

I guess otherwise one would have to manually change it every time ane adds an address...?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is what the < angle brackets > do in Lorna's example.
See the FH Help Search under "Advanced Features of Template Codes" which is also reached via the advice about using the Help button in how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates.
e.g.
"{individual} was born {date}< at {address}> {place}" works OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
SpencerDudeUK
Diamond

Post by SpencerDudeUK »

Fantastic! Thank you