*FH6 - Extract all FH data to a PDF report file

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Simonides
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

FH6 - Extract all FH data to a PDF report file

Postby Simonides » 09 Jun 2018 14:22

I found that my local library has Ancestry library membership. As their PCs are very tied down and limited in running programs etc. I'd like to bring along an extract of my family historian data in pdf format, eg a few lines or a page for each person, with dates, relationships and other notes I've documented, to act as a reference for my research. It doesn't need to look neat, just quick and easy to dump to USB stick.

I've tried looking at some of the reports under Publish, but at this stage in my learning journey in FH6 they seem a bit advanced for the simple, comprehensive dump I'm looking for. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

any suggestions gratefully received, thanks,

Simonides

davidm_uk
Megastar

Re: FH6 - Extract all FH data to a PDF report file

Postby davidm_uk » 09 Jun 2018 15:02

Try the Individual Summary Report (for Web or CD), under Miscellaneous Reports. When the select Record window appears select all of the people you want (or use the >> to select all of them). Let the report get built, the use the Options button on the right to open the Report Options window, and unselect everything you don't want (eg. Pictures tab, set all pictures to 0; Sources Tab, you could unselect all Source Citations, or just restrict the info shown, but turn off Show Source Pictures and Show Source Citation Pictures; on the Page Layout Tab you could unselect Start Records on New Page). Then apply the changes and OK and see what it looks like.

When you've got a report that looks ok then on the right use Save Report As and choose PDF. Save it the print it.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 09 Jun 2018 15:17

As a newcomer I advise you study Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers and its links to the other Knowledge Base pages, so that you become more familiar with FH features.

There are three popular ways to produce summary details: Diagrams, Queries & Reports and all can be highly customised to produce what you want. Look at the Options and it should be possible to get the summary you need. Once you find a suitable customisation then save it for future re-use as a Custom Diagram/Report Type.
(BTW: I am not sure why David recommends the Individual Summary Report (for Web, CD or DVD) as that is identical to the standard Individual Summary Report but meant to be used for exporting family trees.)

Exactly what Reports have you tried and why are they unsatisfactory?

Did you know you can search the Ancestry (and FindMyPast) database at home for free, to identify likely matching records, BUT you cannot review the records themselves. So having found the likely candidates, just produce Reports for them, and use the library to checkout and capture the actual records.

For some records there are free online databases such as FreeBMD, FreeCEN, etc.
See Knowledge Base > Useful Research Web Sites.

Some Plugins such as Lookup Missing BMD Records and Lookup Missing Census Records can produce browser web searches that can be taken to the library.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

arthurk
Famous

Postby arthurk » 09 Jun 2018 16:08

Some people find it useful to export a GEDCOM file from Family Historian and view it with an app on a tablet or smartphone.

There's a list of some of these at Knowledge Base > Downloads and Links ~ Apps

Simonides
Platinum

Postby Simonides » 09 Jun 2018 16:12

David, your suggestion works just fine. Exactly what I wanted.

Mike Tate, thanks for the additional information which I'll work through in detail. I particularly valued the tip "Did you know you can search the Ancestry (and FindMyPast) database at home for free, to identify likely matching records, BUT you cannot review the records themselves. So having found the likely candidates, just produce Reports for them, and use the library to checkout and capture the actual records." and will look at the plugins as well!

It was great to find that my local library has Ancestry for libraries, but it would be the icing on the cake to have FMP as well! Maybe I'll have to suggest they subscribe.

Arthurk: Good suggestion, but I don't have a tablet or smartphone, so was just planning to make the most of a USB stick at the moment. Maybe a gedcom viewer that runs on the stick? But as mentioned, the library PCs are very tied down and I'm not sure what can be installed, if anything.

thanks again

Simonides.

steveflanuk
Platinum

Postby steveflanuk » 10 Jun 2018 15:36

If you want to view your GEDCOM from a USB stick then it might be worth having a look at the genealogical program ScionPC (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/scionpc/)

It runs as a standalone program straight from your USB stick and it doesn't need to use anything like registry settings, etc so I wouldn't expect you to have any issues with running it on your library PC's. I haven't really delved into this program recently but off the top of my head the only potential downsides I can think of are:
1. It may not import any of your own user-defined events/attributes
2. Having looked at it in the distant past I known that it also only allows one source per event/attribute

Simonides
Platinum

Postby Simonides » 10 Jun 2018 17:01

Steve, thanks so much for your suggestion to look at ScionPC. I had some initial issues in that it can only read ANSI gedcom files but was able to save the UTF8 gedcom with Notepad in ANSI format and read it ok (do I lose anything with ANSI rather than UTF8? Why does FH use UTF8, if it's not standard?) . I'll take a closer look at ScionPC over the next few days and when I next visit the library to see if it's more useful than the PDF report I also generated and have put on the USB stick.

It's great to be part of such a helpful user community.

thanks again
Simonides

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 11 Jun 2018 09:51

FH GEDCOM character encoding does use established GEDCOM standards dating from 1995/1999, but there are several options, and not all other programs support all the options. So the problem is with ScionPC not supporting all the options.
  • By default FH V6 uses UNICODE UTF-16 encoding, which is an international standard that supports the characters and symbols of every language worldwide using 16-bit word format. It is fully support by most modern software.
  • Alternatively, FH uses UTF-8, which has similar features, but using 8-bit word format, which is backward compatible with ANSI/ASCII. See Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save > Save in UTF-8 file format.
  • The File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File command offers 9 export Format options including ANSI.
  • Also the Export Gedcom File Plugin offers further options to cater for other genealogical products.
ANSI does not support the extensive range of characters offered by UTF-16 and UTF-8, so some characters may become corrupted, such as accented letters in European languages, and most Russian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, and other Asian languages, and many of the more unusual symbols.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Simonides
Platinum

Postby Simonides » 12 Jun 2018 06:26

thanks again, Mike for your help.

all the best
Simonides

jimlad68
Megastar

Postby jimlad68 » 16 Jun 2018 10:40

Bit late I'm afraid but: How about Publish > Create a website with Individual Summary Report (for Web, CD or DVD). (Or your bespoke version or outline descendant for each individual for say 5 generations, or a doctored narrative). You could copy this to your USB stick and any browser will then be able to view it. It is amazingly quick and easy to hone in on individuals. You can also open different parts/people in different tabs. This is my new way to share my data with 'non techie' people, although it does take considerably more space than a Gedcom file.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but way out of date http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=james-orrell3

Simonides
Platinum

Postby Simonides » 16 Jun 2018 14:06

Thanks, Jim: good suggestion!

Return to “General Usage”